transferred to Ngathaingyong. A similar period had elapsed when he gave up the teaching profession and joined Messrs. Kruger e Co. in Bassein as clerk, subsequently attaining the position of broker. He left this firm, now known as the Burma Rice and Trading Company, Ltd., in 1896 to join Messrs. Bulloch Bros. e Co., Ltd., in whose service he still continues. Mr. Maung Tha has been married twice. His first wife was a daughter of Moung Seik, pleader. There was one son, Maung Bakyin. who is at present studying law at the Inner Temple, and two daughters of the marriage. In 1892 he married a daughter of Ko Pho, by whom he had two sons, Tin Ohn and Aung Kyam Ho.
MAUNG THAW is a large landed proprietor in Bassein and the owner of numerous cargo and paddy boats. He is one of the leading members of the local Buddhist community, and has himself built a monastery. For many years he has been head broker at the lower mill of Messrs. Bulloch, Bros. e Co., Ltd. After leaving St. Patrickas school, Moulmein, and before he entered the service of his present employers, he was an apprentice in the Government Records Department. He has six sons and three daughters. Maung
Tha Zin, the eldest son, is head godown clerk under his father in the lower mills, and the second son, Maung Sein Htin, is studying law at Lincolnas Inn. The other sons are Tun Yin, San Tin, Chit Lwin, and Maung Thin.
MAUNG TSOE MAUNG has extensive interests in the Bassein district. His position as head broker at the lower mill of the Arakan Company, Ltd., is a responsible one, but in addition to this he is the sub-agent for the Bridgeport Motor Engineering Company of America, and owns several motor boats. He is also the owner of extensive paddy tracts, and he has recently planted fifty acres of land with Para
rubber. He was born at Moulmein in 1878, and after finishing his education at Rangoon College, he entered the service of the Arakan Company in Rangoon. Three years later he resigned this position in order to travel, and for eighteen months he toured through India, Burma, Siam, and the Straits Settlements. On his return he took a trip to Bassein, and there married Ma Chaw, a niece of Ma Sa Bai, a lady who was at that time following in her husbandas footsteps as head broker for the Arakan Company. On her death in 1904,
Maung Tsoe Maung was appointed in her stead. Having no children of his own, he has adopted a girl named Ma Aye Nyoon.
MR. TAN PO LAI is a member of a Chinese family, which emigrated from Amoy over a hundred years ago, and settled in Moulmein. His father, the late Tan Po Thine, owned several junks. On his death in 1884, he left four sons, named Tan Poe Lai, Tan Shoay Kho, Tan Shoay Choe, and Tan Maung Ohn, and two daughters. Tan Po Lai commenced his commercial career at the age of eighteen with the Bombay-Burma Trading Corporation, Ltd., in Rangoon. After three years he entered the service of Messrs. Buchanan e Co., in Moulmein, but slightly more than a year later he returned to Rangoon and joined Messrs. Steel Bros. e Co., Ltd. With them he served for five years before he entered the employment of Messrs. Mohr Bros, at their Bassein branch. Only two years elapsed before he was made head broker, a position which he has now held for thirty years. Tan Po Lai is a married man, and has seven sons and two daughters. His sons are Tan Boon Taik, Tan Boon Eik, Tan Boon Chain, Tan Boon Yee, Tan Boon Yaw, Tan Boon Kew, and Tan Boon Chye.
MAUNG SAN THOO is the owner of a small rice mill, opposite Myaungmya, which stands on 15 acres of land, and has a frontage of
1,500 feet. The output of the mill is one hundred bags of rice per day. Previous to his embarkation upon this enterprise, Maung San Thoo had acted as head broker to the Arakan Company for eleven years, and for three years before that he was the owner of a launch which carried passengers and cargo to various towns between Myaungmya and Engme. He is the fourth son of the late U Shwe Tha, who was for some time in the Government service, and finally became a teacher of the Burmese language to the officials at Rangoon. He was born at Moulmein, and was educated first at the American Baptist Mission School, and later at St. Paulas and St. Johnas Schools. After leaving school, he acted as interpreter with Capt. Rideout, of the Royal Artillery, at Toungoo Fort, for four months, but then returned to Rangoon to continue his studies for another year. In company with his eldest brother, Dr. Shaw Loo, he went up to Mandalay to see King Mengdon, who wished to open a school for the princes, but they stayed there only a short time. On his return, Maung San Thoo commenced his commercial career. In 1876 he married Ma Yein, by whom he had eight sons and three daughters. Two years after her death, in 1893, he married again, and
MAUNG TSOE MAUNG AND FAMILY.MAUNG TSOE MAUNG AND FAMILY.