TWENTIETH CENTURY IMPRESSIONS OF BURMA.
The town is well served by the Irrawaddy Flotilla Company, whose steamers run eastwards to Rangoon and Myaungmya, and northwards to Kyonpyaw and Ngathaing-gyaung, and during the rains to Henzada. The company enjoyed a monopoly of the traffic for a long time, but now the Burma Rivers Transport Company is engaged in keen competition with its older rival. The railway gives connection twice a day with Henzada (82 miles), and once a day with Letpadan and Rangoon (192 miles).
The principal industry is rice-milling, but few of the mills, until recently, have prepared any other quality than that known as a cargo rice a for the market. Now white rice is taking the place of the a cargo rice a in many instances. Each rice mill has projected into the river small wooden jetties, and ocean going steamers go from one to the other taking in the parcels of rice. This system of loading is a somewhat peculiar one, but seems to answer admirably in Bassein. In the year 1908-9, the export of rice was
242,000 tons, a quantity larger than that exported in any previous year. Fifty-nine steamers, representing an aggregate tonnage of 171,274, visited the port in the season 1909. This also constituted a record ; since 1907 the annual tonnage has been double of what it was before. Timber sawing is an important local industry, while the Bassein
in 1874. There are four Anglo-Vernacular schools in the townaThe Bassein Municipal High School, A.B.M. Burmese School, A.B.M. Sgaw Karen High School, and A.B.M. Pwo
Tradition has it the original pagoda was built at the time of Asoka, and named a Shwe-ana.a It has been enlarged and improved from time to time. In b.e. 383, King
umbrella has a provincial reputation, and is much prized by European ladies. The imports from foreign countries are insignificant. Bassein was constituted a municipality
Golden Shwe-Moktaw is the most famous. It stands on a hillock in the centre of the town, surrounded by Zayats and Tazaungs. The present pagoda is not the original one.
MR. H. C. MOORE has been Sessions Judge in the Irrawaddy district since April, 1909, and for six months previously he served as District Judge at Bassein. He passed into the Indian Civil Service in 1894, and came to Burma the following year. Born in London in 1872, he is a son of Mr. J. C. Moore. He was educated at Bradfield
Karen School. The central gaol has accommodation for 1,300 prisoners. Among a number of interesting pagodas to be seen, the
Narapatisithu of Pagan repaired it and called it a Htupayow.a It is supposed the pagoda was named Shwe-moktaw by the Mahomedan Queen about the tenth century.
OFFICIAL AND LEGAL.
MR. HAROLD CLAYTON, Deputy Commissioner at Bassein, is on special duty in connection with an inquiry with regard to the proposed foundation of co-operative credit societies in Burma. A son of the Bishop of Leicester, he entered the Indian Civil Service in 1896, after being educated at Marlborough School and Pembroke College, Cambridge.
MR. W. F. GRAHAME, Officiating Deputy Commissioner at Bassein, is a son of a former member of the Indian Civil Service. He was educated at Charterhouse, and at Trinity College, Cambridge, and has served in Burma since 1890. He is a member of the Old Carthusians cricket and football clubs, and of the East India United Services Club.MR. W. F. GRAHAME, Officiating Deputy Commissioner at Bassein, is a son of a former member of the Indian Civil Service. He was educated at Charterhouse, and at Trinity College, Cambridge, and has served in Burma since 1890. He is a member of the Old Carthusians cricket and football clubs, and of the East India United Services Club.