supply of country spirits, under the new scheme sanctioned by the local Government, to the warehouses established in the Tavoy, Mergui, and Amherst districts. In the shipping trade of the district he has a considerable interest, and is the owner of the paddle steamers Tavoy and Defiance, which ply between Moulmein and the southern portions of the province with both passengers and cargo, and of several vessels used for towing purposes in the Moulmein River. In 1891 Mr. Leong Chye bought a large saw-mill, which he worked for thirteen years. He also erected a large rice mill, but disposed of it in 1905 to Messrs. Diekmann, Bros. e Co., Ltd. He deals largely in rice and paddy, and advances money to cultivators and others. The business is the oldest of its kind owned by a Chinaman, either in Rangoon or Moulmein. For over half a century it was conducted by Mr. Leong Chye himself ; now, however, he has handed over the duties of management to his son, Leong Ah Chay. The present extensive premises occupied by him were purchased in 1877.
Mr. Leong Chye is a son of the late Leong Ah See, alias Foon Hong, and was born at Canton, in 1842. In 1858 he came to Moulmein and joined his uncleas business, which was conducted under the style of Yeik Lee. Four years later he started business on his own account, but in a very small way, the entire stock being valued only at Rs. 2,000. His success has been due to industry and enterprise, and a careful regard for details. Mr. Leong Chye is the agent of the Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, Ltd., and collecting agent of the Shanghai Life Insurance Company, Ltd.
MR. LEONG AH CHOO is one of the most progressive business men in Moulmein, and is not only the owner of much paddy land in the district, but he has two large rice mills capable of dealing with three thousand bags of cargo rice in twenty-four hours. Most of this rice is disposed of locally, and the remainder is exported to Penang. Leong Ah Choo has also a half share in two large pawnshops at Moulmein. He was born at Canton in 1858, and is the son of Leong Foon Qwi, a merchant of that city. At the age of eighteen he came to Moulmein in order to join his cousin, Leong Chye, in business, and he remained with him for eighteen years, fifteen years as an assistant, and three as manager. During Leong Chyeas absence in China, Mr. Leong Ah Choo had a full power of attorney. Subsequently he himself went
to China for six monthsa holiday, and upon returning to Burma he established a small sundries business on his own account at Bazaar Street, Moulmein, under the style of Tong Chen. Steady progress was made, and after five years Leong Ah Choo was enabled to establish a small rice mill on the 2nd Division, Moulmein, styled Tong Hing. The output of this mill was at first 1,200 bags of cargo rice per day of twenty-four hours, but it has since been greatly improved. The second mill he purchased in 1909, and great improvements have been effected in this also. Leong Ah Choo, who is a generous subscriber to Chinese charities, has been
Mr. J. D. Stewart is a native of Dumbarton, and had considerable experience in the Scottish drapery trade before he joined Messrs. Rowe e Co. at Rangoon in 1899. After a year and a half he was placed in charge of their branch at Moulmein, a position which he held for seven and a half years, before he started in business for himself under the style of J. D. Stewart e Co. He was the founder of the Burma Motor Transport Company, Ltd., which he managed for the first year of its existence, and is at present a director of the company. He has been honorary secretary of the Moulmein Y.M.C.A. since he took up residence in the town in 1900.
MITCHELL, CHRISTENSEN e CO.
This firm of steamship agents, stevedores and merchants, were established in 1870 by
twice married, and has seven sons and three daughters. The sons are Kim Cheong, who assists his father in his business ; Kim Loon, who is at Penang School; Kim Foon, who is at school in China ; Kim Meng, Kim Wing, Kim Foo, and Kim Qui.
J. D. STEWART e CO.
This firm carry 011 business as drapers and general merchants in Moulmein, at the corner of Lower Main Road and Mangy Maingay Street. They have departments for Lidiesa drapery, millinery, gentlemenas outfitting, boots and shoes, stationery, toys, and cycles. Their stock is a representative one, and they have a considerable a turnover.a The business was established by Mr. J. D. Stewart in February, 1909; the premises occupied are the firmas own property.
Mr. J. Mitchell. In the early days they carried on business simply as ship chandlers, but later Mr. Mitchell took his son, Mr. A. J. Mitchell, into partnership, the style of the firm was altered to Messrs. J. Mitchell e Son, and stevedoring was presently added to the ship-chandleras business. On the death of Mr. Mitchell, sen., a few years later, the name was changed to Messrs. A. J. Mitchell e Co., and when Mr. P. T. Christensen was admitted a partner in 1900, it was again altered, and the firm then, in addition to their other activities, commenced agency work for various steamships. On the death of Mr. A. J. Mitchell, in 1905, Mr. P. T. Christensen bought his deceased partneras share in the business, and is now the sole proprietor. Since 1901 the stevedoring and agency business has been more than doubled.
Mr. P. T. Christensen is a native of Denmark. He came to Moulmein in 1899, and joined Messrs. Mitchell e Co. as an assistant. He is married to a daughter of the late Dr. Slim, a deputy conservator of forests.
j D. STEWART e CO.aS PREMISES IN LOWER MAIN ROAD.j D. STEWART e CO.a S PREMISES IN LOWER MAIN ROAD.