manager in Burma for the Bombay-Burma Trading Corporation, Ltd., and has two sons and five daughters.
MR. U. NA OUK is the largest Burmese timber dealer in the province. He is especially known for his numerous charities, for he has spent large sums of money in building pagodas, shrines, and kyoungs (houses for priests and children), which are yearly visited by large numbers of pilgrims. In other ways also he has shown great generosity towards those who are less fortunately placed than himself. By birth he is a Mon, and a native of Kawnhat, near Kadoe. At an early
miles from his home, at Kadoe, he has started a rubber estate, in which thirty thousand trees have already been planted. He has also conducted extensive experiments in fruit and vegetable growing, and he has now a large fruit garden at Kadoe. He has been decorated with the German Order of the White Eagle for his services in escorting Capt. Ehlers, a representative of the German Government, from the Siamese frontier to Zime in 1892. His father, the late U. Htoon Gyawaa widely known and highly respected merchantawas the lessee of large forest areas in Siam. After U. Shwe Llay had mastered the rudiments of education, he was sent to Carshalton House
and the Attarai Rivers, conveying passengers and cargo. At present four steam launches are engaged in this traffic, but more are to be added shortly, and a limited company is to be formed with a capital of Rs. 10,00,000. U. Shwe Llay lives in a handsome teak house on the river-side, built in the typical American style and standing on a solid brick foundation. In 1888 he married a daughter of U. Dun, a timber merchant.
MR. LEONG CHYE is one of the most prominent members of the Chinese community in Moulmein. He is widely known for his contributions to charities, and in 1899
age he commenced to deal in timber, and acquired his present position by dint of hard work, energy, and unflagging perseverance. He is now the owner of large saw-mills and rice mills, of a large number of cargo boats, of paddy land, and of houses and other property. In 1906 his relative, Mr. U. Shwe Llay, started a steam launch flotilla business with his capital, and this is shortly to be formed into a company.
MR. U. SHWE LLAY is one of the leading Burmese in the Moulmein district. Seven
LEONG AH CHOO AND FAMILY.
School, in Surrey, England, and upon his return in 1886 he joined his father in the Siamese trade, and, on his fatheras retirement a few years later, he became proprietor of the business. In 1897 he disposed of the forests to the Bombay-Burma Trading Corporation and returned to Kadoe, his native town. Early in 1906 he went on a tour round the world, visiting England, India, America, and Japan. Subsequently, at the suggestion of his relative, the well-known timber merchant, U. Na Ouk, he established a steam-launch business on the Salween, the Gyine,
the title of Htong Chi Hum and the red button Taotai were bestowed upon him. In 1900 his name was included in the birthday honours of the Government of India, and he was invested with the Kaiser-I-Hind decoration. He was the only Chinaman from Burma to attend the Delhi Durbar in 1903, and on that occasion he received the coronation medal. Since
1890 Mr. Leong Chye has been sole proprietor of the Phoenix distillery, which he established, in partnership with Mr. G. F. Limouzin, six years previously. In November, 1906, he was given the contract for the1890 Mr. Leong Chye has been sole proprietor of the Phoenix distillery, which he established, in partnership with Mr. G. F. Limouzin, six years previously. In November, 1906, he was given the contract for the