secretary to the Diamond Jubilee Pinjarapole Society (Dumb Animal Society). He is a trustee of both the Kali and Jain Temples, being appointed trustee of the Kali Temple by the Government. He has also been appointed Provincial Secretary for Burma, by the Jain Swetamber Conference. He is a director of the Anglo-Gujarati school, and among other business interests he holds a place on the directorate of the India and Burma Stores, Ltd. Mr. Mansookhlal Dawlatchand has one son, Jesanglal, and four daughters.
SURAJMAL LALLUBHAI e CO.
The visitor to the East generally finds his way to the shops of the jewellers and workers in the precious metals, and one of the most interesting establishments of this nature in Rangoon is that of Messrs. Surajmal Lallubhai e Co., at 14, Mogul Street. Here may be seen a large and representative stock of diamonds, precious stones, jewellery, and silverwork, much of it executed in the firmas own workshops, where forty hands are employed. In addition to their houses in Rangoon, Moulmein, and Bombay, the firm have their travellers all over Burma and the Shan States, and they have also agencies in India and on the Continent.
The head of the firm, Mr. Surajmal Lallubhai, began his commercial life in Bombay in 1893. Three years later he was able to establish connections with some London, Paris, and Antwerp firms and with the principal towns of India and Burma. On the death of his uncle, with whom he was associated in business in Rangoon, he founded the present establishment in 1902, taking into partnership his younger brothers, Keshavlal, Manilal, and Hiralal. Mr. Surajmal Lallubhai is a member of the Jain community, a strictly vegetarian sect, w7ho are prominent in the pearls and precious stones business in India and Burma. He has studied English, Gujarati, Sanskrit, and Persian, and has a working knowledge of the Burmese language.
This firm of bankers, merchants, Government and general contractors, and commission agents have large dealings in rice and paddy, and hold extensive contracts with the police, the commissariat, and the municipality. They are the proprietors of the Bhawsinga Cotton Ginning Pressing Factory at Mainpuri (United Province); of the Pulgon Ginning Factory, Pulgon, Amraoti (Central Province), Berar; of the Bhawsinga Iron Foundry, Rangoon ; and of saw-mills at Seebpore, Calcutta, Bombay, and Mainpuri, w7hilst in both Burma and India they hold considerable property.
The founder of the firm, Babu Luximinarain Bagla, K.I.H., was the adopted son of Rai Bahadur Bhagawandass Bagla, who was a wealthy contractor and banker, carrying on business in India and Burma. Luximinarain was only a minor at the time of his fatheras death, but on coming of age he inherited a fortune of Rs. 33,00,000, and established himself as a banker, Government contractor, and c., under the style of Babu Luximinarain Bagla. On his death, his friend, Babu Ramrickdass Bhawsinga inherited his fortune, and he founded a school at Churu (Bikanir) and certain rest-houses at Calcutta and Rangoon, in remembrance of Babu Luximinarain. Babu Ramrickdass, on taking over the business of Luximinarain, changed the name of the firm to its present style. On his death, in 1904, the business passed into the hands of his son, Babu Chimanbux Bhawsinga, and his nephew, Babu Shribullab Bhawsinga. At the present
day the firm have a prosperous business both in India and Burma. In India their affairs are under the control of Babu Chimanbux, whilst Babu Shribullab is in charge of the firmas interests in Burma.
MOOSAJEE AHMED e CO.
It is now about forty years ago since Moosajee Ahmed Salayajee founded this firm of general merchants under the title of Ebrahim Solamon e Co. in conjunction with Ebrahim Solamon Salajee, Ismail Ahmed Mohamodee, Mamoojee, Moosajee, and others. In 1907, Moosajee Ahmed Salayjee and Ismael Ahmed Mohamodee retired, and the remaining partners changed the style of the firm to its present form. They do a large export trade in rice and beans, and import gold leaf, flour, sugar, and bar-gold and silver. The sale of gold-leaf alone averages from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 20,000 a day. A stock of gold-leaf worth Rs. 2,00,000 is always kept, and sugar and flour to the value of from ten to twelve lakhs of rupees are stored in the firmas godowns.
The firm owns extensive house and shop property in Burma and other parts of India, their income from rents amounting to Rs. 1,25,000 per annum. a At the timea of writing they are negotiating for the purchase of a rice mill. Branches have been established in Calcutta, Bombay, Madras, Cawmpore, Agra, Etwa, Chittagong, Mandalay, Prome, Akyab, Sourabaya, Cochin, Cuddalore, Valvanore, Coconada, Warrangal, Vizianagram and Bimlipatam.
The partner in charge of the Rangoon branch, Ismael Ahmed Mahomodee, was born in 1862, at Kathoe, near Surat, and, upon the completion of his education, he joined his uncle, Ebrahim Solamon, in business, being admitted a partner in 1889. He has one son and three daughters. The son, Mohomed Ismaila, who has a share in the business, received an English education
in Rangoon, and speaks the Gujarati, Urdu, Persian, and English languages. He has one son and one daughter.
SANGU VALLEY TEA COMPANY.
Despite its title, the Sangu Valley Tea Company not only engage in the tea trade, they have also a * considerable connection as printers, stationers, engravers, rubber stamp makers, and booksellers. Their business houses are located in Rangoon and Akyab.
The tea business was started at Akyab in 1892 by Mr. K. C. Choudry, of Chittagong, who was at that time in the Government service, and also editor of Buddah Bandhu. In his own garden, in a valley on the bank of the river Sangu, he cultivated tea, and hence arose the name of the company. Subsequently a branch was opened in Rangoon on a very small scale, and the tea sold speedily gained popular favour. On the death of Mr. K. C. Choudry, in 1899, the business passed into the hands of his first, third, fourth, and fifth sonsahe was the
father of seven sonsanamely Messrs. N. L. Choudry, J. L. Choudry, D. L. Choudry, and P. B. Choudry. Under their management the development has been rapid. The refreshment business soon attracted their attention, and tea rooms were opened in various localities of Rangoon, which have since proved successful. In 1903 the stationery department was added to their tea business at 84, Dalhousie Street, and three years later a printing department was opened, a modern printing plant having been secured. Engraving and rubber stamps are now made by them, and, at the beginning of 1909, a large book depot also was established.
M. FUJII e CO.
Few towns of any pretensions, either in the East or the West, are without their Japanese
NATIVE MERCHANTS OF RANGOON.
1. Mansookhlal Dawlatchand. 2. Surajmal Lallubhai. 3. Yacoob Abdool Ganny. 4. Ramrickdass Bhawsinga. 5. Luximinarain Bagla.1. Mansookhlal Dawlatchand. 2. Surajmal Lallubhai. 3. Yacoob Abdool Ganny. 4. Ramrickdass Bhawsinga. 5. Luximinarain Bagla.