The Phoenix coach works, the largest and most up-to-date in the city, were established in quite a small way in 1887. Now they cover an area of more than an acre of ground in Folly Lane, York Road Cantonments, and enjoy the patronage of His Honour the Lieut.-Governor of Burma. Carriages of all description a dog carts, buggies, gharries, and victorias, as well as motor-car bodies are built, and a visit to the different departments for carpentry, smithy, upholstering, and painting work is most interesting. The whole of the iron and steel work used is supplied by the well-known firm of John Rigby e Son, Birmingham, whilst the paints, varnishes, rubber tyres, and other carriage requirements are from the best American and British houses in the trade.
The firm make a speciality of horsesa food and fodder, and their crushed food, oats,
established in 1902 by Mr. G. S. Clark, an Australian, and he has developed it so rapidly that all competition has since withdrawn. The premises, which are in Thirty-seventh Street, comprise a three-storied building used as a store and showrooms, in addition to which there is a workshop, covering a similar space of 50 feet by 40 feet, with other store yards in the same street, and a large tank-making workshop, 100 feet by 60 feet, in Merchant Street. The employes of the company number 200 to 1,000 according to the work in hand.
Amongst the principal works executed by the firm are the fitting up of the two new wings to the Currency Buildings, the new Chief Court, and several large commercial buildings, such as Sofaers Buildings, Messrs. Whiteaway, Laidlaw e Co.as new extension, Messrs. Rowe e Co.as new business premises,
and is a bronze medallist, two other fully qualified European assistants, and several native assistants.
F. C. HANNAY e CO., LTD.
The firm of Messrs. F. C. Hannay e Co., Ltd., represent various insurance agencies in Rangoon, including the Palatine Insurance Company, the National Insurance Company of Ireland, LaUnion of Paris, and the Guarantee Association of Bombay. In addition, the managing director, Mr. J. A. Hannay, is branch secretary for Burma of the Oriental Government Security Life Insurance Company, Ltd., a position bestowed upon him in recognition of his having successfully represented the company for thirty years. The firm was founded by Mr. J. A. Hannay, under the style of Messrs. J. A. Hannay e
grain, hay, and c., hold a deservedly high place
111 the estimation of owners of horses in Rangoon. They are contractors also to the police and postal departments. Close upon one hundred men are employed at the works, which are under the management of Mr. A.
D- Peppin, whilst Mr. H. W. Jones is chief accountant, and Mr. C. Barrett assistant manager. Mr. William Redmond, V.D., is the proprietor.
the BRITISH PLUMBING AND SANITARY ENGINEERING COMPANY.
The British Plumbing and Sanitary Engineering Company are the only European firm of their kind in Rangoon. The business was
THE ROYAL HOTEL.
and the offices of Messrs. J. W. Darwood e Co., Messrs. Bulloch Bros. e Co., Ltd., and Messrs. Finlay, Fleming e Co. Though the British Plumbing and Sanitary Engineering Company devote most of their time to purely plumbing work, they have also successfully carried out large water and drainage contracts, including the erection of an ejector station containing two of Messrs. Shone e Aultas ejectors of 1,000 gallons capacity each. The firm have several sole agencies, including that for Messrs. Doultonas sanitary ware.
The supervising staff of the company comprise, in addition to the proprietor, Mr. William Gardner, R.P.C., A.I.S.E., works manager, who holds the full technological certificates of the City and Guilds of London Institute
Co., but in 1903 it was transformed into a limited liability company under the title of Messrs. F. C. Hannay e Co., Ltd.
Mr. John A. Hannay has a connection with Burma dating far back into the days when Upper Burma was an independent kingdom. His father, the late Mr. Robert Hannay, was well-known in his day as the pioneer merchant of Burma, for he was the first man to import goods into the province direct from Europe. Mr. John A. Hannay first intended to practise law, and he served articles to that profession for three years in Scotland. He soon abandoned legal pursuits, however, in favour of commerce, and, starting anew, he was apprenticed for four years in a London commercial house. In 1867 he cameMr. John A. Hannay has a connection with Burma dating far back into the days when Upper Burma was an independent kingdom. His father, the late Mr. Robert Hannay, was well-known in his day as the pioneer merchant of Burma, for he was the first man to import goods into the province direct from Europe. Mr. John A. Hannay first intended to practise law, and he served articles to that profession for three years in Scotland. He soon abandoned legal pursuits, however, in favour of commerce, and, starting anew, he was apprenticed for four years in a London commercial house. In 1867 he came