OF BURMA. 351
Since Mr. Sowdenas death, which occurred early in 1909, the business has been carried on by the other two partners.
MISQUITH e CO.
The large music warehouse of Messrs. Misquith e Co., in Merchant Street, is known throughout Burma. The special feature of the business is the construction of pianos specially adapted for the hot, damp climate of Burma. So many modifications did Mr. Oscar Misquith find necessary in the European-made pianos that he made a special visit to the different factories in England and on the Continent in order to impress upon the makers the essential points in an instrument designed for long service in Burma. The Burma model is one of the main outcomes
end of the building, whilst on the first floor is a large and attractive stock of music and musical instruments.
The original business of Mr. J. C. Misquith e Sons was established at Ootacamund in 1865. The chief pianos imported at that time were the square models by Schiedmayer e Sons. These were superseded at a somewhat later date by upright grand pianos made by Richard Lipp. Some of these are still in use. In 1875, Messrs. Charles and William Misquith opened a business in Madras, and four years later, while the present proprietor, Mr. W. F. Misquith, was managing it, the fine premises in which it is conducted to-day were acquired. A branch was opened in Rangoon in 1889, and on Mr. R. V. Misquithas death, Mr. Oscar Misquith, who had hitherto been the manager,
STEWART, RAEBURN e CO.
This firm of electrical, general and consulting engineers, and machinery merchants, were founded in 1906 by Mr. George Ogilvie Stewart. They have been responsible for some of the most important recent electrical installations in Rangoon, amongst these being the installation in Bulloch Brothersa new offices, in the Criterion and Minto Mansions Hotels, in the Jewish Synagogue, in the Mahomedan Mosque, and in the new Chief Law Courts. They make a speciality of mill installation work, and have installed lighting plants at many of the principal mills throughout Burma. They also specialise in electric lift work, and have installed electric lifts in Rangoon in Balthazaras Buildings, the Minto Mansions Hotel, and in Messrs
THE MUSIC DEPARTMENT AND PIANO SALOON OF MISQUITH e CO. IN MERCHANT STREET.
of Mr. Misquithas ingenuity, and it has a large sale in the province. The firm themselves employ a numerous staff of qualified tuners and builders from the leading factories in Europe, and possess every requisite for the building of pipe organs, pianos, and other musical instruments.
The handsome two-storeyed structure in which the business is conducted has spacious show-rooms, in which a large collection of pianos by well-known makers, such as Broadwood, Brinsmead, Bluthner, Collard, Cramer, Hopkinson, Gruss, Lipp, and Schiedmayer are displayed. The latest designs in pianolas and piano-players, specially constructed by the Orchestrelle Company, of New Bond Street, London, are also to be seen. Organs and harmoniums are exhibited on a specially-erected gallery at the extreme
became the proprietor. A Mandalay branch was soon added, and early in 1909 the business was extended to Maymyo.
Mr. Oscar Misquith entered the musical business when fifteen years of age. During the five years that he served under his four elder brothers at Madras, he received a thorough insight into the principles of the construction of pianos and other musical instruments. He was, also, the organist at two churches in Madras during that time. His musical abilities are well known in Burma, and his services are in great demand in all matters musical. He has been organist at the Rangoon Cathedral for the past twenty years, and is also examiner for the London College of Music throughout Burma. It is Mr. Misquithas intention to convert the business into a limited company at an early date.
Whiteaway, Laidlaw e Co.as new buildings They do a large business as general machinery importers and export a considerable quantity of teak to Europe. They are sole agents in Burma for many well known houses, including, among others, Messrs. F. C. Macdonald e Co., Ltd., Glasgow ; the British Insulated and Helsby Cables, Ltd., Helsby, Prescot and Liverpool ; Messrs. Simplex Conduits, Ltd., Birmingham ; and Messrs. J. e E. Hall, Ltd.. refrigerating engineers.
Mr. George Ogilvie Stewart was born in Stirling in 1879, and was educated at the High School there, which he left in 1895 *A enter the service of Messrs. Duncan Stewart e Co., Ltd., London Road Ironworks, Glasgow, as an apprentice engineer. He served for four years and gained a sound practical experience of heavy engineering work, andMr. George Ogilvie Stewart was born in Stirling in 1879, and was educated at the High School there, which he left in 1895 *A enter the service of Messrs. Duncan Stewart e Co., Ltd., London Road Ironworks, Glasgow, as an apprentice engineer. He served for four years and gained a sound practical experience of heavy engineering work, and