and then returned to England to buy the stock for the Rangoon branch, which he opened, and of which he has since been in charge. He was admitted a partner in the old firm in 1899, and has held his present position since the formation of the limited company. Mr. Turner has been prominently identified with various forms of sport during his long residence in the East. He played football regularly for over twenty years, and has been captain both of the Mercantile Union Football Club (Rangoon) and of the Dalhousie Football Club (Calcutta), and was one of the prime movers in the organisation of the local football league. He has also taken a great interest in the Volunteer movement, and, until last year, held a commission as captain in the Rangoon Volunteer Rifles. In 1905 Mr. Turner was elected president of the Trades Association.
general merchants, in Mogul Street. Soon afterwards the firm removed to the corner of Merchant Street and Tseekai Moung Taulay Street, and twenty years later increasing business necessitated larger premises, which were secured in Fytch Square. These have already been extended to three times their original size, and, at the time of writing, a large new building, from the designs of Messrs. Charles F. Stevens e Co., the well-known Bombay architects, is nearing completion at the junction of Barr Street and Dalhousie Street, in close proximity to the Chief Court. It is three storeys in height, and contains basement accommodation, a feature quite new to Rangoon. Its size may be gauged from the fact that it covers an area of over 22,000 square feet. The framework is of steel, and the interior will be fitted up in the most modern style.
fitting, drapery, millinery, boots and shoes, crockery and glassware, general ironmongery, iron and brass ware, trunks, cutlery, watches and clocks, and saddlery. A feature is made of the cycle department, in which the firm hold agencies for some of the best-known manufacturers. Messrs. Rowe e Co. are also extensive makers of furniture.
Not content with development in Rangoon alone, the firm have established at Mandalay, Moulmein, and Bassein branches, through which a large up-country trade is done.
BOWYER, SOWDEN e CO.
Since its establishment in 1892, the firm of Messrs. Bowyer, Sowden e Co., general outfitters, has made rapid strides, and the premises have been doubled in size. Gentle-
BOWYER, SOWDEN ft CO.aS PREMISES IN MERCHANT STREET.
MR. THOMAS R. CALVERT, who has been manager of the branch since the business was turned into a limited liability company, came to Rangoon as an assistant in 1893. He opened the stores for the company in Mandalay, and remained in charge there for eighteen months. Upon his return he was appointed assistant manager in Rangoon. In 1904 he opened, and assumed control of, the companyas branch in Shanghai, and it was upon his return from China in 1907 that he obtained his present post. Mr. Calvert is a member of the committee of the Trades Association.
ROWE e CO.
It was about 1866 that Mr. R. V. Rowe founded the firm of Messrs. Rowe e Co., drapers and
In the early eighties Mr. Rowe was joined in partnership by Mr. A. R. Whyte. About 1889 Mr. George Blackstock became a partner, and shortly afterwards Mr. Rowe severed his connection with the firm. Seven years ago Messrs. J. McGeachin, A. E. Rodgers, and James McDowall acquired an interest in the business, with the development of which they had been closely identified for some years. On the death of Mr. Whyfe in 1907, his son, Mr. F. A. Whyte, was admitted as a member of the firm.
Copiously illustrated catalogues, containing some three hundred pages, are issued by Messrs. Rowe e Co. four times a year, and serve to convey a good idea of the various departments of the business, such as the departments for ladiesa and gentlemenas out-
menas wearing apparel in all its details is the feature of the business, a speciality being made of tailoring and shirtmaking, for which a large staff of cutters is employed. Footwear is another speciality, the firm being the sole agent in Burma for the Acme a boots and shoes, which are well known all over the world. Another very important department is that in which travelling requisites of every description are stocked. The enterprising spirit of the firm is evidenced by the copiously illustrated catalogue issued monthly.
In Mandalay, Messrs. Bowyer, Sowden e Co. have erected premises suitable for their requirements, and have met with great success.
The business was started by Messrs. H.
G. Bowyer, S. P. Sowden, and C. A. Rowe.G. Bowyer, S. P. Sowden, and C. A. Rowe.