Stork e Co., Hengelo, who are large makers of the well-known *a Elephant a brand of loongyees; Jules Robin e Co., shippers of cognac; and Boord e Sons, of London. They are agents, also, for the German Lloyd Marine Insurance Company, Berlin ; the Standard Insurance Company, Amsterdam ; and the Agrippina Assurance Company, Cologne. They act as managing agents for the Mergui Rubber Company, Ltd., which has at Shwegyin one of the largest rubber estates in Burma, and they have just been appointed managing agents for the Burma Sugar Refining Company, Ltd., the tirst company of its kind to be established in Burma 011 up-to-date lines. ^
Mr. Frederick Stork is Consul for the Netherlands, and Consul for Italy at Rangoon. In his absence, Mr. Meikle is Acting-Consul for Italy.
Mr. Stork has recently built commodious offices in Lewis Street, known as aTubantia Buildings,a which are the first of their kind in Rangoon. Here spacious godowns are provided on the ground and first floors for the storage of stock, while the rest of the building is set apart for offices and living quarters for assistants. The firm intended moving into their new premises at about the time of the publication of this work.
BALTHAZAR e SON.
Rangoon can afford few better examples of the success which attends steady and persevering enterprise than the firm of Messrs. Balthazar e Son. In addition to an exceed-ingly large connection as general merchants and auctioneers, the house do a large import and export business in goods of every kind, whilst they have extensive interests as estate and banking agents, receive money for investment, and act as general and real estate agents.
This firm was established in 1857 by the late Mr. B. C. H. Balthazar, who was an Armenian, of Ispahan, in Persia. He landed in Bombay in company with his son in 1853, and there he started a small general business, which proved very successful. About eighteen months later, hearing that there were better business prospects in Calcutta, he proceeded to that city and established a similar business, leaving his son to manage the business in Bombay. His first connection with Rangoon was established by personal visits to the port, to which he resorted periodically with such goods as found ready buyers. He continued to do business in this style until his various transactions became so large that it was impossible for him to carry them on alone. He therefore sent to Bombay for his son, who was placed in charge of the business at Rangoon, the proprietor himself remaining in Calcutta to manage the local business with less frequent visits to the Rangoon branch. With the growing prosperity of the town, the Burma business rapidly increased, and Mr. Balthazar found it necessary to bring his second son, Mr. Samuel Balthazar, now senior partner in the firm, from Persia to assist in the management. Mr. Samuel Balthazar arrived at Rangoon in 1866. The firmas affairs, established on such sure foundations, extended and a*ew, and in 1873 Mr. Balthazar retired from uie business and returned to Persia, where he died two years later, leaving the enterprise to his sons. Mr. Car Balthazar continued the business with his younger brother until the year 1901, when he also died, leaving his interests to his two sonsa Mr. Gregory C. Balthazar and Mr. Balthazar C. Balthazar. The former of these withdrew from the firm in 1907, and the firmas affairs
are now in the hands of Mr. Samuel Balthazar, as senior partner, and Mr. B. C. Balthazar, the second son of Mr. Car Balthazar, and Mr. M. Joakim.
Mr. S. Balthazar, the senior partner, takes a foremost part in the public life of Rangoon. He has a seat on the Municipal Committee, where he represents the Chamber of Commerce.
Sarkies Bros. In 1900 he paid a visit to Europe, and on his return in 1902 he joined Messrs. Balthazar e Son. He was admitted to partnership in 1907.
ROBINSON e MUNDY.
Messrs. Robinson e Mundy carry on a very large business in Rangoon as civil
THE OLD AND THE NEW PREMISES OF STORK e CO., IN LEWIS STREET.
Mr. M. Joakim, the third partner, was born at Ispahan, Persia, in 1871, and received his education at the Armenian College, Calcutta. He commenced his business career in the Burma Secretariat Department, but after two years he went to Singapore for Messrs.
engineers, architects, and builders. The original enterprise was established about 1870 by Messrs. Robinson Bros., and on the retirement of Mr. Robinson, sen., it was continued by Mr. J. G. Robinson, who was joined by Mr. Mundy in 1905, when the style wasengineers, architects, and builders. The original enterprise was established about 1870 by Messrs. Robinson Bros., and on the retirement of Mr. Robinson, sen., it was continued by Mr. J. G. Robinson, who was joined by Mr. Mundy in 1905, when the style was