and famine. Many wells from which the poor draw their supplies of water owe their existence to his kindly thought. A devoted Chinese Buddhist, he, in conjunction with his wife, Ma Aye Mya, built a shrine at the Shwe Dagon Pagoda, and defrayed the cost of erecting the large monastery, Waso Kyoung, at Dedaye. He was the principal donor to the Fokien Temple, which was built at Rangoon in 1903, and is the chief supporter of the Chan Temple Society. Though he does not speak English, he is very popular among the different sections of the community in Rangoon. It is nearly half a century since
time to time and erected upon it houses and shops, from which he now draws a considerable rental. At one time he speculated extensively in rice, becoming, in fact, the largest dealer in that commodity among the Chinese between the years 1894 and 1899. He is married to Ma Aye Mya, a daughter of Oo Oung Ba, a farmer of Dedaye, by whom he has had three sons and three daughters.
MR. YEO CHOO SUM, the president of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce, is a young man of thirty years of age, and was born at
in charge of his interests in Burma, but he was obliged to return at the end of the year, owing to a serious decline in his business. All attempts to re-establish the salt trade proving futile, he abandoned it, and lived on the interest yielded by his investments until 1906, when his death occurred in China. By his wife, Lim Kheng Wha, he had six sons, only two of whom are now living. Mr. Yeo Choo Hoe, the third son, has four sons, and is in charge of his fatheras estate in China, while Mr. Yeo Choo Sum, the fifth son, administers the property in Burma. They have an interest in the Amoy Railway. Mr.
LEONG HAIN KEE AND SONS.
Mr. Chan Ma Phee, who is the son of the late Chan Ee Shin, of Amoy, left his native land. Going first to the Straits Settlements, he spent some two years there before he came to Burma. After trading up country in piece-goods for ten years, he established, in 1883, the firm of Taik Leong, general produce merchants, dealing mainly in rice, paddy, oil, and tobacco, at 75, Strand Road. Finding these premises too small for his growing business, he moved to 57, Strand Road, which property he purchased. Continuing to prosper, he acquired land from
Ayeo, Amoy. He is the fifth son of the late Yeo Kay, who emigrated to Penang from China in 1859, and, after serving for three years in a Chinese firm in that settlement, came to Rangoon, where he started business in a small way under the style of Heng Moh, dealing in rice, silk, and Chinese produce. This venture proved very successful for twenty years, and at the end of that time Yeo Kay laid the foundations of a large trade in English salt. Part of his profits he invested in houses and land. Being desirous of visiting his native land in 1888, he left an agent
Yeo Choo Sum has two wivesaKhoo Him Neoh and Chang Neongaand four sons, named respectively Yeo Chan H Yeok, Yeo Chan Khoon, Yeo Chan Taing, and Yeo Chang Doung.
MR. LEONG HAIN KEE is vice-president of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce and a large property owner. A son of the late Leong Haw Khoon, he was born at Canton in 1857. On the completion of his education, he did a general business for two years in Hongkong. In 1875 he came to Rangoon andMR. LEONG HAIN KEE is vice-president of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce and a large property owner. A son of the late Leong Haw Khoon, he was born at Canton in 1857. On the completion of his education, he did a general business for two years in Hongkong. In 1875 he came to Rangoon and