outdoor games in Rangoon and encourage them throughout the province, is the outcome of the efforts of a small body of sportsmen, who managed a football league in Rangoon in the early nineties. Football and cricket used to be played spasmodically before 1893, but it was not until the close of that year that Mr. W. M. Turner, then a member of the Mercantile Union football team, approached the members of the other existing clubs of that period with the object of forming a football league. The result was that on June 4, 1894, a meeting was held at Dawsonas British India Hotel, which was situated on the site of the present premises of Messrs. P. Orr e Son. The chairman was Mr. Jagger, of the Mercantile Union, and Mr. D. Tucker, of the Gymkhana Club, acted as honorary secretary and treasurer. There were present at this meeting Mr. Barrington and three N.C.O.as West Yorks ; four N.C.O.as Royal Artillery ; Messrs. Jones and Godber, High School ; Rev. B. Mahon, St. Johnas ; Dawson and Turner, Mercantile Union ; W. Macdonald and Tucker, Gymkhana ; and Conductor Martinant and two others of the Cantonment Staff Office. It was then decided to form a league to be known as the Rangoon Football League, which was to be comprised of the following clubs : West Yorks, Gymkhana, High School, St. Johnas, Royal Artillery, Mercantile Union and the Cantonement Staff.
No less than a dozen protests were made during the first month of the leagueas existence, with the result that the Gymkhana club withdrew and the competition was suspended. Mr. Tucker, the honorary secretary and treasurer, resigned on July 20, and Mr. Fulton, West Yorks, was elected to succeed him. It was wisely decided at this time that the management of the league should be vested in a committee to be composed of members not interested in any club, and the following were elected as the first committee : Captain Boulderson, Madras Infantry; Captain Cavaye, Brigade office ; and Messrs. H. R. Fagan, S. Gordon Browne, J. Regan, and E. H. Cletnentson. The week following, the league resumed, the Gymkhana re-joining, and other clubs throwing in their lot with the movement.
Side by side with the re-formation of the league came the decision that the success of the winning team should be marked in some form or other, and it was decided that a sum of Rs. 220 should be allotted as a prize, and that the winning team should be allowed to purchase what kind of trophy they pleased. The West Yorkshire Regiment finally headed the league, and they decided upon medals.
The next important meeting of the associ-
ation took place in May, 1895, when Mr. Gordon Browne presided. Mr. M. Turner, the honorary secretary and treasurer, was then able to report a balance of Rs. 279 on the yearas working. The officers elected were : President, Captain Boulderson, Madras Infantry ; vice-president, Mr. Gordon Browne ; honorary secretary and treasurer, Mr. W. M. Turner. It was then and there decided that a challenge cup, to be known as a The Pagoda Trophy,a should be purchased, and that medals should be presented to the winning team, whilst new rules were framed and the name of the association was altered to that of the Burma Association Football League. The first entries for this competition were the Worcester Regiment (a Aa and a Ba teams), Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Artillery (aAa and
a B a teams), Gymkhana, Cantonment Staff, Mercantile Union, St. Johnas Diocesan Club, and Insein Workshop. The trophy was won by the a B a team of the Worcesters from their a A a team in a hard-fought final. This created so much interest at the time that Mr. Alfred Barnes offered a purse of Rs. no for another match between these two teams, and a B a team won again.
On August 17, 1895, the offer of Messrs. Walter e Co. of a football shield, open to all teams in Burma, was accepted under the conditions that are still in force. Following this it was decided that the a Pagoda Trophy a should be named the Junior Challenge Cup, and be confined solely to local civilian and school teams. The first entries for the Walter Locke Shield were : Worcesters (a A a and
aBa teams), Mercantile Union, Insein Rovers Diocesan (aAa and aBa teams), Gymkhana, Royal Artillery, St. Johnas, and the Karen Football Club.
When the next annual meeting was held in June, 1896, the treasurer was able to report a balance in hand of nearly Rs.400. After consideration, it was decided that the growing interest which was shown in the matches would warrant the expense incurred by the roping-in of the playing field, and by the erection of bench seats. Under the more comfoi table conditions the attendance at the matches speedily increased, and at the end of the season the treasurer had in hand the very substantial balance of Rs. 2,050. At a meeting which was held in April, 1897, the welcome announcement was made that the
General Commanding the Rangoon Brigade had granted permission for the parade-ground to be used by the league for football games throughout the season. Previous to this all the matches used to be played 011 the grounds of the different clubs of the league. The elections this year brought Mr. J. Regan on to the managing board, which now consisted of the following members : President, Mr. C. B. Lacy; vice-president, Lieutenant Troup ; honorary secretary, Mr. R. R. Macdonald ; treasurer, Mr. J. Regan. The question of conducting a league on the English Football League system was discussed, but nothing was done, and it was not until 1899 that a half-league competition was introduced, and medals given by Mr. W. Turner were played for and won by the
BOAT RACING, AKYAB.BOAT RACING, AKYAB.