formation of a new separate Railway corps and the transfer thereto of the Railway members. The corps therefore consisted of four companies, or with the cadets, six companies, viz : a (a) Merchants and Law Courts, (6) Government offices, (c) Town, (//) Cantonment, (e) St. Paulas School Cadets, (/) St. Johnas College and Diocesan School Cadets.
Early in November, 1878, application was made to Government for sanction to the formation of two cadet companies, of fifty each, the one to consist of boys of St.
1879, that the services of the additional drill instructor was obtained. Notwithstanding this delay, and owing to the great interest the boys evinced in their drill, and to the cordial encouragement of the principals of the several schools, the progress made by the cadets was remarkable.
The band also made satisfactory progress, and commenced to play together. At first it was intended to draw its members from all three schools, but this so increased the difficulties of instruction that it was found desirable to take them all from the one school,
papers were supplied. A cricket ground was obtained on the brigade parade ground, and lawn tennis and badminton courts and a quoit ground were laid out adjoining the headquarters.
The formation of the club led to numerous cricket matches, both among members and with other clubs, and badminton parties held twice a week, and that the club was appreciated by members was proved by the fact that, on March 31, 1879, there were 108 subscribers.
O11 December 26, 1879, the first camp
RANGOON PORT DEFENCE ARTILLERY BURMA RAILWAY VOLUNTEER OFFICERS AND
VOLUNTEER OFFICERS. NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS.
Paulas School, the other of boys of the St. Johnas College and Diocesan School, and also of a drum and fife band. It was at first hoped that the High School would also have furnished its quota of boys, but encouragement on the part of the school authorities to the boys to join, as in other schools, was wanting. Sanction to the formation of the cadet companies was accorded by Government of India Military Department, No. 945, of November 30, 1878, and the drum and fife band by Government of India Military Department, No. 519, of December 16, 1878, but it was not until March 25,
and St. John's College furnished the members of the band.
During the first year of its existence the corps had the honour of furnishing a guard of honour on the arrival in Rangoon of ex-President Grant of the United States. In November, 1878, it was decided to form a club in connection with the corps, the object being to encourage social intercourse among the members of the corps by (1) the establishment of a reading room, and c. ; (2) by outdoor sports. For the reading room, and c., two rooms at the headquarters were given up, and the principal English and Indian, as also the local,
of exercise took place at Engsein (Insein), a station on the Rangoon and Irrawaddy State Railway (now the Burma State Railway^, nine miles out of Rangoon. The camp was an unqualified success, and was taken part in by the Rangoon and Irrawaddy State Railway Volunteers, the Akyab Volunteer Rifles, the Moulmein Volunteer Rifles, as well as the Rangoon Volunteer Rifles, with their two cadet companies.
The camp broke up on January 3,
1880. The average daily attendance of members was 213. Each corps in turn furnished two guards daily, each tour of duty1880. The average daily attendance of members was 213. Each corps in turn furnished two guards daily, each tour of duty