BY LlEUT.-COLONEL S. C. F. PEILE, Inspector-General of Police, Burma.
HE outbreak of hostilities with the Kingdom of Ava, in 1885, and the consequent disturbances in Upper Burma, which it was feared would spread to the Lower Province, rendered an increase in the Lower Burma police force necessary. The abnormal prevalence of serious crime in British Burma (then Lower
Burma) was no doubt due to the incom-petency of the Burma police, who, even when well armed and led, showed a lamentable want of courage and discipline. It was, therefore, resolved to increase the Indian portion of the force and recruit them from the fighting races of Upper India. The men so recruited, were, as a matter of fact, a poor class of men from Oudh and Upper Bengal, cow-keepers, sweetmeat-sellers, and such like, but then the local officers had no
experience to guide them in the selection of recruits. When a rebellion broke out in Shwegyin in 1886, and spread through the Irrawaddy and Pegu divisions, reserves had to be formed, and 800 men and 56 officers of Indian police were recruited in India, and utilised for this purpose. The reserves were allotted to districts and varied according to requirements from thirty to one hundred men per district. At Rangoon a special reserve of 200 picked men was kept
up to reinforce any district requiring assistance. The Indians recruited in India were of a much better stamp than those previously locally enlisted, whilst in several districts an auxiliary police force of Karens was also organised. These were formed into a local militia and did excellent service.
By 1887 the military police (Indian police recruited in -India) had increased from 1,070 to 1,452. They were placed under an adjutant, a retired officer, Captain Delacheroix,
were required to serve for three years, and were placed under the Military Police Act. Except in the Thayetmyo district, the aid of troops was not invoked in Lower Burma. The Upper Burma police were separate from those in Lower Burma, and Colonel Stedman, C.B., with the local rank of Brigadier-General, was entrusted with their organisation. He was assisted by a senior military officer, Major Graves, under the title of Deputy Inspector-General of Military Police ; this officeras functions being similar to those of a combined Adjutant-General and Quartermaster-General at Army Headquarters. The work of organisation had been begun as early as February, 1886, when the formation of four levies of 500 men each, with a proper complement of native officers and non-commissioned officers and 2,000 extra military police for district work was sanctioned. Later, a further body of
1,000 men were enlisted, and 1,000 volunteers taken from native regiments. Thus, at the beginning of 1887, the sanctioned strength of the military police force was 6,000, and the actual strength about 5,000. In January, j887, 5,000 more military police were sanctioned, and another 4,000 were being enrolled and partially trained in India. At the close of the year the sanctioned strength was I5,5AA- This was the force General Stedman was called upon to train and organise. The levies from India came equipped with rifles, accoutrements and uniform ; but prior to March, 1887, no arrangements had been made for their medical treatment, for their supply of rations, or for the renewal of clothing, ammunition, and c. Prior to the arrival of General Stedman, the principal medical officer of the forces was required to organise the medical arrangements, and Surgeon-Captain Davis, I.M.S., was entrusted with the details. At the same time Captain Peile, who had accompanied the field force
REGIMENTAL AND GARRISON POLICE, RANGOON.REGIMENTAL AND GARRISON POLICE, RANGOON.