length. At first some little trouble was experienced owing to the expansion and contraction of the metal, but this was overcome by burying the line in the soil. The quantity of crude petroleum treated is
156,000,000 gallons a year, and the products obtained from it are petrol, kerosene, lubricating oil, wax, candles, and coke. These find their chief market in Burma and India. Altogether, employment is afforded to some
14,000 hands. The labour consists principally of Madrasis, Coringhis, Chittagonians,
Company, Ltd., which was floated in the early part of 1909 with a capital of A2,000,000.
RANGOON REFINERY COMPANY, LTD.
One of the most recently formed oil-refinery companies is the Rangoon Refinery Company, Ltd., which was registered in September, 1908, with a capital of 15 lakhs of rupees in shares of 15 rupees each, with power to increase the capital if desired.
The refinery is being erected at Thilwa,
1,000,000 gallons each. Four of these are already in use, and several others are in course of construction. The whole of the machinery is of the most modern type, and there are special plants for making oil tins and for filling the tins, refrigerating plants for the refining of wax, and a large electric plant. The chemist in charge has an extensive laboratory in which to conduct his work.
At the time of writing eighteen Europeans and about two thousand natives find employ-
and Burmese, but there are, in addition, Eurasians, Chinese, Armenians, Bengalese, Goanese, and Punjabis.
Of the original four directors only two remainaMessrs. Leonard Gow, LL.D., and Tarbet Fleming. The other members of the board are Messrs. John T. Cargill (chairman), R. W. Adamson, R. Gourlay, LL.D., J. Hamilton, R. King, C. W. Wallace, and W. K. DaArcy.
The company have purchased a predominating interest in the Anglo-Persian Oil
14 miles down the river from Rangoon. At the present time it is intended to extend over an area of 125 acres, though there are another 290 acres of land adjoining which belong to the company and can be used if required. A considerable section of the refinery is even now in working order, and here burning oil, lubricating oil, candles, and other products of petroleum are being prepared.
The crude petroleum is brought to the refinery in barges along a canal, and is pumped into huge reservoirs capable of holding
ment at the refinery. For the accommodation of the Europeans twelve permanent bungalows have been built, and there are also overseersa and foremenas houses, coolie lines, and c. The whole of the construction and the subsequent operations have been carried on under the supervision of Mr. E. S. Attia, one of the directors. The other directors are Messrs. W. B. Marshall, W. J. Cottrell, Sassoon E. Solomon, R. F. Strachan, and
S. Gordon Brown. Messrs. Mower, Cottrell e Co., Ltd., are the managing agents.
STAFF OF THE RANGOON REFINERY COMPANY, LIMITED.STAFF OF THE RANGOON REFINERY COMPANY, LIMITED.