they purchase large quantities of timber from the Government and private sources. Their two saw-mills at Botatoung and Dunneedaw occupy one-and-a-half and three-and-a-half acres, and are worked by engines Af 35 h.p. and 75 h.p. respectively. They have a qualified office staff, and employ altogether about four hundred persons daily, and have a number of elephants and buffaloes.
Mr. A. V. Joseph, the founder and proprietor of the firm, has been connected with the timber trade since 1895. He started in Rangoon by importing small quantities of timber from Moulmein. This business increased rapidly, and within three years he opened a
HAZLEWOOD e HAZLEWOOD.
A rising firm amongst the timber merchants and saw-millers of Rangoon is that of Messrs. Hazlewood e Hazlewood, whose place of business is at Dunneedaw on the Rangoon River, adjoining the Monkey Point Battery, the last of the river defences of the Rangoon River. Here from two hundred to three hundred employes are constantly employed not only in the conversion of timber, but also in the manufacture of all sorts of builderas requisites, such as teak doors, window-frames, rails, and so forth. This latter business is the only one of its kind in Burma. The partners in the firm are
and on his return from college he was apprenticed to the Irrawaddy Flotilla Company, Ltd., and served his time at the firmas dockyard at Dalla. He was afterwards appointed third engineer to the steamer a Blackheathowned by Messrs. Watts, Watts e Co., and went on a yearas voyage to South Africa and South America. Soon after his return to Rangoon Mr. Hazlewood joined the Arracan Company, and was given a responsible position in their rice-mill. He next turned his attention to the teak trade, and erected his saw-mill at Dunneedaw. In the first year the business was confined to purely local trade, but an opportunity soon arose of appointing an agent at home in the person
A. V. JOSEPH e CO.
1. A Working Elephant. 2. A. V. Joseph (Proprietor). 3. Joseph e Co.as Saw Mills at Botatoung, East Rangoon.
saw-mill capable of an output of 1,000 tons a year, while three years later, by various improvements, and the installation of new machinery, he increased the capacity of the mill five-fold. His business transactions in other directions were also eminently successful, and provided the capital necessary for starting the firmas new sawr-mill, which is equipped in a very complete fashion, and has a very large frontage to the river. The manager of the company is Mr. N. Nagab-hushanam, B.A., and the assistant manager, Mr. P. A. Verrall. Mr. Abdul Haniff acts as chief engineer, and Mr. M. Heynes as foreman.
Mr. Benjamin Leisk Hazlewood and his sister, Miss Winnie Hazlewood, who, besides assisting her brother in the outside work necessary in a saw-mill, has entire charge of the office and books of the firm.
Mr. Benjamin Hazlewood was born in Rangoon in 1884, and is the third son of the late Mr. John Hazlewood of Monkey Point, a well-known and respected resident of old Rangoon. Mr. Benjamin Hazlewood was first educated at St. Pauls School, Rangoon, under the Christian Brothers, and was then sent to Darjeeling to St. Josephas College, the school of the Jesuit Fathers. He early developed a liking for engineering,
of Mr. H. F. Leslie, who was leaving Burma, where he had held the position of superintending engineer in Messrs. Mower e Cottrellas engineering works. Mr. Leslie lost no time in introducing the firmas timber to the European market, with the result that from small consignments Messrs. Hazlewood e Hazlewood now ship an appreciable quantity of good quality teak to Europe, and their brand a H. e H.a has obtained a firm footing in the European market. A large Indian trade is also being done by the firm, and the mill premises have recently had to be considerably extended.