THE PORT OF RANGOON.
ITUATED within easy access of the sea, on a river navigable for 900 miles of its length, and for a distance of seven or eight miles is over a mile in width, Rangoon, the capital of the province of Burma, is now the third largest seaport of the Indian Empire. As with all ports served by tidal waters, Rangoon has had to
face difficult and costly schemes of harbour improvement and extension. The Board of Port Commissioners have earned the reputation pf being one of the most progressive bodies in the East, and it is no doubt due to the enlightened policy they have for years pursued that Rangoon owes its importance in the Eastern maritime world.
The Board of Port Commissioners was incorporated by special Act of January 1, 1880. Exclusive of the chairman, the membership is twelveapartly elected and partly nominated. For the fin^t sixteen years in the history of the port, under the working of this act, the executive officer, termed the vice-chairman, was also the chief collector of Customs. His duties were from the outset onerous, and in course of time it was found that he
could devote less attention to the interests of the port than was desirable. Consequently, in 1896, the mercantile community moved for the separation of the two offices on the ground that the working of the port demanded the attention of an officer unhampered by other duties. Matters moved very slowly, however, and it was not until the year 1901
that the Act for separation of the offices was passed. During the interval, no new port works of any importance were carried out, and in view of the fact that the commercial interests had represented in 1896 that the port was then lacking in adequate accommodation for seagoing steamers, appliances for handling cargoes, and proper storage accommodation, it will be fully recognised that the task of the officer who took over
the duties was no sinecure. The appointment of chief engineer fell to Mr. George C. Buchanan, M. Inst. C.E., and under his superintendence several large schemes of improvement have been effected.
At the end of 1901 there were 2,015 lineal feet of quay space available for the seaborne trade, and 196,000 square feet of shed
THE RIVER AT RANGOON.THE RIVER AT RANGOON.