affirming this and commending the project to the generous consideration of the Baptists of America and Burma were passed unanimously at a meeting of the Conference of Baptist Missionaries in Burma in 1899. Two years later, Mr. F. D. Phinney, the present superintendent, who received his appointment in 1882, went home on furlough and was authorised to collect funds for a new building and plant. Despite every effort, he was unable to obtain more than 5 per cent, of the sum required. In the meantime, however, other forces worked in support of the scheme. A cyclone which travelled over Rangoon unroofed a portion of
rent any adjacent premises, the work of rebuilding had to be carried out in three sections so that the business might not be stopped. The task was completed on December 15, 1905.
The new structure has a frontage of 113 feet and a depth of 300 feet and is of plain red brick. In addition to a large showroom, which has a modern plate-glass front, there is a composing-room, measuring about 48 feet by 80 feet, in which some sixty or seventy compositors may be seen at work ; a machine room, 40 feet by 48 feet, containing five John Thompson jobbing presses, two Hoe drum cylinder presses, and two Huber-Hodgman
1832 for the printing of the first complete New Testament in the Burmese tongue. The first edition of the whole Bible made its appearance eight years later. To-day the Bible is issued in the Burmese, Talain, Sgaw Karen, Pwo Karen, and Shan dialects, while portions of the Scriptures are published in three others. Hymn-books are printed in even more languages than the Bible. Six monthly religious papers, also, are published. The Burman Messenger and the Karen Morning Slat are family papers, while the Sabbath Awakener, in Burmese, the Sgaw Karen Sunday School Papet and Pwo Karen Sunday School Paper
PREMISES AND STAFF OF THE HANTHAWADDY PRESS IN SULE PAGODA ROAD.
the main building and poured a torrent of rain down upon the stock in the rooms below. Photographs showing the damage were laid before the Executive Committee, and the erection of new premises was immediately authorised. A cablegram approving the plans, which had been prepared from sketches made by Mr. Phinney, and sanctioning the estimates, was received on May 20, 1903. A contract was promptly signed with Messrs. Deacon, Clark e Co., builders and contractors, and the corner-stone was laid on October 13 by Mrs. Phinney. As it was impossible to
two-revolution presses of the latest design ; an engine room in which a Nagle engine of the most economical type furnishes all the power required ; a stereotyping foundry in which, also, rubber stamps are made ; a type foundry, 25 feet by 48 feet, in which vernacular type is cast, which is cast nowhere else in the world ; a bindery, 150 feet by 46 feet, where from eighty to a hundred workmen are employed ; and several stockrooms. Altogether, employment is afforded for about 230 workmen gathered from different parts of India.
The Press was responsible at the close of
help the Sunday school scholars who read those languages to prepare their lessons. No other papers with similar aim and purpose are published in Burma. The Sgaw Karen Sunday School Paper attained a circulation of ten thousand at the beginning of 1908. The News is published monthly in English, and gives the latest news from all the mission stations in Burma and Assam.
The Press has a big stock of educational works and appliances, and executes a considerable amount of general commercial printing. It holds, also, the agency for the RemingtonThe Press has a big stock of educational works and appliances, and executes a considerable amount of general commercial printing. It holds, also, the agency for the Remington