A special code containing more than half a million phrases is placed at the service of Reuteras customers, and telegrams in which the code is employed are translated before delivery. To regular senders of cablegrams to Europe a rebate of eight annas on each message is allowed. Reuteras also act as advertisement agents for newspapers and magazines throughout the world. The Rangoon branch, through which all business in Burma and Siam is conducted, has been established since 1903. The offices of the Company were originally at 18, Strand Road, but are now located in Sofaeras Buildings,
AMERICAN BAPTIST MISSION PRESS.
. The American Baptist Mission Press was established in Rangoon in 1816, and a tract which it issued entitled a A View of the Christian Religion,a by the Rev. Dr. Judson, led to the first conversion effected by the Mission in Burma. Operations were checked by the war of 1824-26 between Britain and Burma, the printing-press and type, which had been presented by the missionaries of Serampore, being removed for a time to Calcutta. But as soon as hostilities ceased, work was re-commenced, this time at Moulmein, the chief city of the province of Tenas-
separate press was maintained until 1855, when it was consolidated with that at Moulmein and placed in the charge of Mr. Bennett, while Mr. T. S. Ranney, superintendent at Moulmein, removed to Rangoon, then lately captured by the British, and started the Pegu Press as a private venture. It became evident not long after the annexation of the province of Pegu that Rangoon would be the seat of Government and the centre of mission work, and, therefore, as Mr. Ranney wished to return to America, the Missionary Union bought the Pegu Press from him, and Mr. Bennett removed the plant from Moulmein and united
^ BAPTIST MISSION IN MERCHANT STREET.
PREMISES OF THE AMERICAN BAFHei
Phayre Street. The first manager was Mr. S. Williams. When he transferred his services to the Rangoon Times, he was succeeded by Mr. Coppin, who was followed in April, 1909, by Mr. H. M. Spencer. Previous to coming to Ragoon, Mr. Spencer served the Company in Bombay and in London. A native of Croydon, he is the fourth son of Mr. S. Spencer, a well-known London contractor, who has been responsible for the decorations of many of the Government and public buildings and leading hotels in the Metropolis.
serim, which had been ceded to the British. In 1837 there were at least six hand-presses in use turning out Dr. Judsonas translation of the Bible into Burmese, his Grammatical Notices of the Burmese language, the first edition of his Burmese grammar, and tracts by tens of thousands. In the same year a mission press was set up at Tavoy by Mr. C. Bennett, in order to meet the great demand which had arisen for printed matter in the southern part of Tenasserim owing to the marvellous spread of the Gospel among the Karens. This
the two presses at the site now occupied in Merchant Street.
The original premises occupied by the Pegu Press were a two-storey single room, about 20 feet by 30 feet, with a verandah front and back, facing 35th Street, and with servantsa quarters at the rear, or on 36th Street. From time to time various additions became necessary to meet the growing demands upon the Press, till in 1895 limit of patching had been reached, and further expansion was impossible without complete rebuilding. ResolutionsThe original premises occupied by the Pegu Press were a two-storey single room, about 20 feet by 30 feet, with a verandah front and back, facing 35th Street, and with servantsa quarters at the rear, or on 36th Street. From time to time various additions became necessary to meet the growing demands upon the Press, till in 1895 limit of patching had been reached, and further expansion was impossible without complete rebuilding. Resolutions