MALA VAN DART POISONS
Mantra Dart Poison.1 Page 319
Ingredients of Poison. Identification. j Part used, j Remarks.
1. A 4 Rotan kA mant- (Also a R. kA rai a ) Sap
ing a Dcemonorops geni-
culatus, Mart. (Palmes), Ridl.
a Chantong Unknown Bark or
badak a roots
3. a Berar keejanga Alocasia Singapori- Sap
(a Birahkijanga ) ana, or Singapor-
4. a Umpas padia Strychnos, sp. Bark (?) In his list of the full-
(or any other strength poison, V.-
Strychnos) St. says a umpasa = a Blay hitam a of Pangans, i. e. Str,
c. a Umpas pitea tieute (Java)
Strychnos, sp. Bark (?) n
(?Mal. a Upas
pahit a )
6. *4 Mundess a Unknown Roots and bark
7. a Pracheka Tabemcemontana malaccensis, Hook, fil. (Apocynacece), Ridl. A A
8. a Koopura Carapa mcdaccensis, Lam. Bark = Newbolda s a kopaha
9. a a Kroie a Lophopetalum pal-lidum, Laws. (Celastrinece) ** = Newbolda s a krohi a
10. *1 Lada api a ? Chillies Fruit C Blandas, a ternek a
n. a Ipoha (tree) Antiaris toxicaria Sap -j Kenaboi, a kayas a
l(a kyass a )
12. a Gadonga Dio sc orea, sp. Knobs
13. Lemon (or lime ?) Citrus, sp. Seeds
14. a Tubaa Randia dumetorum, Lam. (J.R.A.S. xvi. Root Derris elliptica, Benth. (Legumi-
1886, 414), V.-St. ncsce), Ridl.
ii. 124, note; or
15. Non-vegetable Derris elliptica
poisons scorpions, arsenic
NTote.a Ridley also identifies a grow,a the name of a fruit which when eaten by an animal makes its flesh poisonous for men to eat. a It (a grow a ) looks like a Xanthophyllum a (Ridley). a Berar keejang a (although here included by V.-St. in the poison ingredients) a is the aroid plant used if the man eats acid fruit after killing anything with the blowpipea (V.-St.). a Chapaneng,a the leaf used for straining the Ipoh, is Clcrodendron velutinum. a Chooping a or a chupenga mentioned as an antidote to a tuba,a is, as Mr. Ridley personally remarked to me a a Menispermacious plant, which I know wella (it is not, however, given in Ridleya s List). a Chapanenga (in Ridleya s List) is given as Clerodendron villosum, Bl. (Verbenacece). i V.-St. ii. 124.