Madras to bangalore and Mysore
the level of Vellore. The sides are covered with boulders and loose stones, and the ascent is very fatiguing, but may be accomplished in forty-five minutes. From the bastion there is a good view over the neighbouring hill, which also has been fortified. Just below the hill is the Fort, and two fine tanks, while 2A m. off are the police lines and the Central Jail, which
219 m. Bangalore City junc. sta. ^ Hence the rly. to Mysore is continued S.W., whilst the line through Hubli to Poona runs N.W., and throng Guntakal to Poona, N. The nameeis literally, "the town of bengalu A I kind of bean (pop. 180,000). The area assigned to Government when the state of Mysore was restored to the native prince is 13A sq. m. The state \Vas
1. Roman Catholic Church.
2. St. John's Church.
3. Native Infantry Lines.
4. St. Andrew's Church.
is noted for its beautiful carpet and cloth manufactures.]
132 m. Jalarpet j une. sta. ( R. ) Here the rly. to Bangalore leaves the main S. W. branch and commences the ascent to the plateau of Mysore.
176 m. Bowringpet sta. [Branch, by the Kolar Gold Fields State Railway, to the gold mines, well worth a visit.]
216in. Bangalore Canton, sta.* (R.)
5. Cleveland Town.
6. Maharaja's Palace.
7. Mysore Gate.
taken under British administration in 1831, and was restored to native rule in 1881. In the interval of half a century it has grown to its present importance.
The Cantonment (the largest in the S. of India) and City of Bangalore stretch from the Maharaja's palace on the N., 6500 yds., to the S. extremity of the Koramangala Tank on the S., and an equal distance from the W. end of the Petta on the W., to the Sappers'The Cantonment (the largest in the S. of India) and City of Bangalore stretch from the Maharaja's palace on the N., 6500 yds., to the S. extremity of the Koramangala Tank on the S., and an equal distance from the W. end of the Petta on the W., to the Sappers'