ROUTE 26. GAD AG JUNCTION TO BEZWAD
[Excursion to Vijayanagar (Bijanagar) and Hampi. *
Hanipi is the site of the ancient capital of the Vijayanagar kings,1 who dominated South India from 1118 to 1564 a.d. The ruins cover 6 sq. m., including Kamalapur on the S. and Anagundi, the latter seat of the dynasty N. of the Tungabhadra River.
Kamalapur D.B., is 7 m. N.E. from Hospet. An old temple has been con-
whose descendants flourished here till the
battle of Talikot, 1564, and afterwards at
Anagundi, Vellore, and Chandragiri for another century, until finally overwhelmed by the advancing Mohammedan powers of Bijapur and Golkonda During the two and a quarter centuries that the Vijayanagar Rajas held the city of Hampi they extended it and beautified it with palaces and temples The traveller Caesar Frederick, wh0
Vijayanagar, Hampi, and Anagundi.
1. Commencement of Bridge.
2. Ruins of old Bridge.
3. Temple of Vitoba.
verted into a D.B. There is a good road from Kamalapur to Hampi, which winds round the rocky hills between which the old city was built. Tlie site is watered by a channel from the river.
Hampi was founded on the fall of the Ballala dynasty, about 1336 a.d., by two brothers, Bukka and Harihara, who had been driven out of Warangal,
1 No one interested in the History of Vijayanagar should fail to consult Mr. Sewell's book on the subject, A Forgotten Empire, 1900.
4. Temple of Veerpaksh.
5. Temple on high pile of rocks. " King's Sleeping Palace.
Statue of Ganesh. Temple of Krishna.
saw the city at the zenith of its prosperity, describes it as being 24 m. round, enclosing several hills. The ordinary dwellings were mean buildings with earthen walls, but the three palaces and the pagodas were all built of fine marble.
The first remarkable building is the King's or Ladies' Bath, forming a portion of the king's palace. It is a rectangular building, about J m. from the D. B., with a hauz, or reservoir, in theThe first remarkable building is the King's or Ladies' Bath, forming a portion of the king's palace. It is a rectangular building, about J m. from the D. B., with a hauz, or reservoir, in the