route 16. jaunpur
Mihrab, built of black marble, immedi-ately in tbe centre of the main W. wall the Musjid proper in which the prayers are said, is a verse from the Koran, and above it the creed. The faade is 75 ft. high. Almost in the centre of the large courtyard and to the N.E. of the musallah or praying-pound is a wTell with a fine citron -leaved Indian fig-tree (Ficus venosa). At the S.W. corner of the large square ls a chamber screened by a lattice of stone, intended for the women. Lead-g from it to the roof is a staircase, behind the propylon screening the dome from the courtyard and surround-lng 3 sides of the drum of the dome,
condition, and were probably destroyed by Sikandar Lodi. The N. and S. entrance gates have been restored and are surmounted by domes. In the cloisters and walls many stones from Hindu temples have been utilised. Its general arrangement resembles that of the Atala and the Lai Darwazah Mosques (see below), and the faades are not unlike, although the cloisters here have 3 tiers, whilst those at the Atala have only 2. The mosque proper is very massive, almost fort-like in construction. It measures 59 ft. x 235 ft., including the thickness of the walls, but not the bastions at the angles. It is divided into 5 compartments on
West half of Jumma Musjid.
a chamber some 11 ft. high and 6 ft. wide.
At the end of a narrow lane, raised ?n a platform some 20 ft. in height, the splendid Jumma Musjid, built Husain Sharki, commenced 1438, fished 1478. Some attribute .the sign to Ibrahim, as his family lie in ^e cloistered court of a building joining the N. side of the Musjid.
entering the S. gate the visitor will ?tiee one of the outer voussoirs # the exterior arch an inscription
8tASide down) in Sanscrit of the cent., another in Tughra charac-
a AVer.the toP of the central rnihrdb,
a third in Arabic characters around
j^e outer margin of the arch. The N.,
aA and E, sides are in a dilapidated
the ground floor, and above are 2 zenana chambers, one on each side of the grand dome, with splendid stone carved ceilings. On the E. side is an immense propylon 80 ft. high divided by string courses into 5 stories.
N. of the mosque is the burial ground of the Sharki kings, the walls of which approach the N. wall of the mosque within 30 ft. In the quadrangle is the tomb of Ghulam 'Ali with a fine Persian inscription. In the centre, beyond this tomb, is that of Sultan Ibrahim Shah. The only inscription is on a round stone in the centre which has the Kalmiah.
Next to the tomb of Ibrahim is that of his son Sultan Hashim Shah, with an inscription of the date 1568.Next to the tomb of Ibrahim is that of his son Sultan Hashim Shah, with an inscription of the date 1568.