^ Its Beginnings
a golden casket, the relics they had brought. Over them was built the first nucleus of the Shway Dagn Pagoda. The town of Takoon or Dagn grew up around this sacred spot, and from time to time there is mention in Burmese history of visits to it from kings and princes, and of the gradual growth of the pagoda. Stone
inscriptions in the courts of the pagoda date back to the year 1485, and it is well known that Shinsawbu, Queen of Pegu early in the sixteenth century, visited the town and greatly enlarged the pagoda.
The first account of it that we have from any European observer is that in 1579 of Gasparo Balbi,