Text on page 185
occupied in 1859. The site chosen was on the left bank of the Irrawaddy, in latitude 20A 59' N., at a place convenient as a centre of trade with the Northern Shan country. It is not clear that it had any other advantage.
The present town, city, and cantonment occupy an area of 25 square miles. In 1885, Mandalay was the most populous city in Burma, and so it remained for a few years,
Fig* 73* South Moat Gate, Mandalay.
the population in 1891 being returned at 188,815, while that of Rangoon was only 182,080. By 1911, the inhabitants of Mandalay had fallen to 138,299. But in the next ten years there was a revival and the number is now 148,917. Mandalay is still essentially a Burmese town, the Buddhist element largely prevailing. Situated 386 miles from Rangoon it is connected with the capital of the province by rail and by river.
The type of Burmese royal city has remained unaltered