Bournemouth [England] : London:
F.J. Bright and Son ; Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent and Co., Ltd,
Text on page 272
WANDERINGS IN BURMA.
On one side of the hill is a cave temple in which is enshrined the Nga-yan or stone image of a fish.
Shin Gaudama, in one of his previous existences, appeared as a Nga-yan or Murrell (Ophiocephalus Marulins). During this time there wras a drought, and the embryo Buddha recited some stanzas which caused the rain to fall.
The history of the image is as follows :a
When Alaung-Sith reigned at Pagan, from 1085 to 1160, a.d., he was much troubled by the disobedience of his sons, his eldest, Min-Shin-Zau, was expelled the capital, and became governor of the northern part of his father's kingdom, making his capital at Tan-dn-p-det in the neighbourhood of Amarapura. When ruling here he commenced the excavation and embankment of the great lake Aung-pin-l. By these means over 31,000 fields were supplied with the means of irrigation.
In consequence of the increased fertility of the soil and the extension of cultivation, the people soon became prosperous and wealthy. Owing, however, to a serious drought, which caused the waters of the lake to dry up, and brought distress on the cultivators, the Prince Min-Shin-Zau consulted his Pn-nas or Brahmins, who advised him to carve the figure of the Nga-yan of stone, and to command the priesthood to recite the stanzas used by Gaudama in its honour. The fish image was accordingly made and set up in the palace, and the stanzas were daily recited by the priests. Very soon the rain descended in unheard of quantities, the lake overflowing its banks, flooding the surrounding country, destroying the crops and property of the inhabitants and causing the outbreak of various diseases and epidemics.
In great anxiety, Min-Shin-Zau again consulted the Pn-nas, who stated that the calamities were brought on because the image had been enshrined in the palace instead of the cave in the hill pointed out by them. On its removal there, the calamities ceased, and the hill received the name Yan-kin-taungIn great anxiety, Min-Shin-Zau again consulted the PA n-nas, who stated that the calamities were brought on because the image had been enshrined in the palace instead of the cave in the hill pointed out by them. On its removal there, the calamities ceased, and the hill received the name Yan-kin-taung