inadequately broad, called Cavenagh Bridge, upstream, and the other, over which the trams run, downstream, called Anderson Bridge. Looking upstream from Cavenagh Bridge, we see Boat Quay. Here the water is crammed with Chinese craft, and the land is crammed with Chinese houses. On a bright morninga and most mornings in Singapore are brighta the combined effect of the colours, the deep blues, the greens, the yellows, the drabs, the pure whites, the browns, the reds, either of the boats on the river or the houses on the shore, is very remarkable. So too, in its way, is the contrast between the recently built towering blocks of offices and the little old-fashioned low Chinese houses alongside them. Crossing either bridge we see on the left, close to the river, the Government offices. Behind the Government offices are the Supreme Court and the Printing Office. Near the Supreme Court there is a statue of an elephant, which has been reduced to pigmy size by the large surrounding buildings. It commemorates the landing in 1871 of Chulalonkorn, King of Siam, at Singapore, a the first foreign land visited by a Siamese monarch,a as records the inscription in Siamese, English, Chinese and Malay. Facing the Victoria Memorial Hall is an obelisk, which ranks as the palladium of the liberties of Singapore. In 1850, the Marquis of Dalhousie, Governor-General of India, visited -Singapore, and on that occasion, he (according to the obelisk, which seems rather hot about it and not open to argument, still less to grammar)
a emphatically recognised the wisdom of liberating commerce from all restraints, under which enlightened policy the Settlement has attained its present rank among British possessions and with which its future prosperity must ever be identified.a This is set forth on four panels in English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil, and reflects the passions of a day when it was feared that the policy of keeping Singapore a free port might be abandoned. To read it brings to mind Raffles, the founder of Singapore, who believed in free ports. There is a fine statue of him in front of the Victoria
Memorial Hall. There it stands, looking out to the sea. All the ships of all the nations of all the world pass in endless review before him, Raffles, the man of long, long thoughts. Annual tonnage of the port, 14,088,775 tons ; value of its trade, ^205,271,734; population of the town, 380,392 personsa all these have come about at Singapore and all flow from Raffles.
At the north-west end of the Padang, near the handsome pavilion of the Singapore Cricket Club, stands the Hotel de la Europe, and the street which runs past it goes to Fort Canning, where is the signal station for ships entering from the east, and a lighthouse. Next to the Europe come the Municipal Offices, and next to these the Anglican Cathedral. Past this at right angles to the sea runs Stamford Road and the canal alongside it. This road should be taken for the Raffles Library and Museum, well worth a visit. If we continue along this road, we come into Orchard Road, which goes past the Ladiesa Lawn Tennis Club, the Presbyterian Church, and Government House gates. Opposite these gates is Tank Road, which leads to
Cavenagh Bridge, Singapore.