about the ancient gateway in the crevices of the stone grows maidenhair fern. Of all the matchless Malacca, a. fortress second only to Goa, there remains just this old gate, though bastion Santiago can be placed, on the edge of the sea, in a line with the gate, for there are still a few blocks of stone under the grass, and the eye of faith can even discern the shape of the bastiona s angle.
Continuing along Fort Terracea which is on the site of the vanished fortress walla we come to the old cemetery where the officers who died in the Naning War in 1831 are commemorated by an obelisk. The tombs here are mostly of the English period. Opposite the cemetery is the Police Station, at whose entrance lie laterite blocks marking the course of the walls still, nor is it difficult to trace them through the grounds and across the road on the other side of the Police Station until the modern French Church obliterates the last traces.
Though the fortress itself was a strong place, the Portuguese were not content with it alone, and on Saint Johna s Hilla which is a few minutes away along the road down the coasta they built a fort. This is now in stone and brick, and it is not known whether, as it stands, it is Portuguese or Dutch. The inscription over the entrance was stolen by some local Goth, and no record of what it said now remains. The best access to this fort is by turning to the left at the gaol and following that road to the cross-roads, from which there is an easy
In this same neighbourhood is Bukit China, a long seiies of low hills thickly covered with Chinese graves. In Portuguese times there were buildings churches, convents, monasteriesa on these hills, but there is no trace of them now, unless we account as part of them the a old military well a next to the modern Chinese temple at the west end of Bukit China. This is a very ancient well indeed, if it be, as is not at all impossible, the well shown on the plan 01 the original fortress and on the 1604 plan also. The water of the wells of Bukit China is esteemed superior to that of the town supply, and is readily sold at one cent a bucket.
The Portuguese Church of Saint Peter, outside the town on the way back from Bukit China, is believed to bealmost coeval writh the fortress. It contains, however, but few relics of the past, except its two holy water stoups of antique design and of a stone, which can also be found in the Stadthaus, of a kind not native to Malaya. The date on the bell is 1698, and it bears a Latin prayer. It is to be regretted that the church has been so lavishly whitewashed inside that the only traces of the frescoes which it once possessed are on one of the
Church of St. Peter, Malacca.
track up along the crest of the hill as far as the fort. The view is superb.
Malacca Hill is to the west, crowned by the ruined church, and on the east, thirty-two miles distant, is Mount Ophir, and between that and us are padi-fields and coconut palms.
This fortification is shown on the old plan, and the palisades (Tran- Gateway at Malacca,
querah) which ran from it are also shown.