reredos is modern but very successful Florentine mosaic. The floor is full of tombstones, removed,, to preserve them, from the roofless church on the hill. The church is always open and its possessions are shown, for a small fee, to visitors.
Leaving Christ Church and continuing along between the river mouth and the hill, passing the Hongkong and Shanghai Bank and the new harbour wrorks out to sea, we reach the jetty. The view from the seaward end gives that beautiful panorama of Malacca from the sea which has at all periods delighted travellers. Let the eye start from Pulau Upeh on the left and pass along the coast, beginning with the fringe of palms, continuing along the red roofs of the jumbled city, much of it on piles over the sea, with its green, blue, white, and terra-cotta houses, over the river mouth and the sepia sails of the native craft as far as the white bank building, then up and down the hill with its flagstaff and signal tower in white clapped against the mouldering blacks and greys of the carcase of Saint Paula s, from whose wall-tops grow desolate bushes where should be the roof. Beneath the hill lie the old-fashioned houses built by the Dutch. Between them and the sea comes the exquisite emerald of the lawns under the huge dark green trees, the wrhole emphasized and thrown up by the
Christ Church, Malacca.
red-brown sea-wall against which laps a sighing tide. A dark shadow to the right of the houses marks the ancient gateway. Beyond it come houses, the Malay training college, the resthouse, then mere houses backing on the sea, and, lastly, a fringe of coconuts again. The island opposite the hill is Pulau Jawa. It is awash at high tides.
Pulau Upeh is to the north of the river mouth, a much larger island showing a splash of red colour under its green covering. Far to the south are more islands, Pulau Besar, Pulau Bureng, and others.
The 18-pounder cannon at the shore end of the pier bears date 1803 and the monogram of George III. The small obelisk commemorates those who, in the 1st Goorkha L.I., the 1st Battalion H.M.a s 10th Foot and the Arab Contingent during the Sungei Ujong war of 1875, lost their lives on active service against the Malays.
Continuing round the hill we reach the old gateway, with its tablet too confidently attributing it to Afonso de Albuquerque. The inner and the outer side of the gateway are similar, except that the outer side has a bell turret and its two little towers have survived better than those of the inner side. Between the pillars of the gateway, on both sides, is a curious device in plaster relief. A shield changed with a galleon has two supporters, one a female figure of Peace with the olive branch, and the other a male figure of War, in armour, holding