A pair of round dishes, Madras work, probably presented to this church by the Dutch n India, repousse, covered with figures of Indian animals, the centre a snake, very curious.
Amongst its other treasures are the Dutch Bible, bearing date 1762, and the brass lectern in the pulpit-centre engraved on both sides, showing that it was given by Jan Crans, the Dutch Governor, in 1773, bearing the first verse of St. Johna s Gospel in Dutch, probably engraved by a German soldier in Batavia, as the wording shows German influence. On the font
St. Paul's, Malacca, West End.
Photo by Nakajima, Kuala Lumpur.
Malacca, East End.
Photo by Nakajimct Kuala Lumpur.
lies, when christenings take place, a shallow plate of silver presented b}a a Dutch lady in 1668. This plate bears the cross fleuri and four martlets which appear also on her tombstone in Saint Paula s in the arms of Juffrou Maria Bort, who married Nicholas Muller. There is also a very curious brass font pedestal, exceedingly heavy, believed to be Malay work. The design of this pedestal is most beautifully proportioned. The fifty-foot span of the flat roof is remarkable, the timber being very fine originally and still perfectly sound. The old-fashioned musiciansa gallery still exists at the west end. The