Street. Of these the former is a pale copy of the latter. In Jonker Street it is true that the old farm building bears date 1673, but the street as a whole cannot compare with Heeren Street. This street has a distinctive character entirely its own. It is long, supposed to be straight, is undoubtedly narrow, and formed of two rows of Chinese houses, of which the second row backs on to the sea and is built out on piles. The architecture of the street is difficult to describe. Suffice it to say that each house is a long narrow box whose front on the street is a verandaha not a verandah appropriated to foot traffic, but a verandah closed-off from next door by a partition of brick. The partition usually has a window in it, round, oval, or square in shape, and the front of the house is sure to be either painted with Chinese pictures or carved or adorned with pottery figures. Not all the buildings are private dwellings. Some are temples. There is not one building like another ; they differ in width, in depth, in height, in design, in colour, in ornament. Yet withal they form such a harmonious collection that the eye is delighted with their diverse similarity. Heeren Street is the Park Lane of Malacca, for none but the richest of Chinese live here.
The Stadthaus, erected by the Dutch and still used as Government offices, stands, built into the hill, opposite the bridge and divided by a narrow street from Christ Church. It shows a modest nobility of character. The clock tower in front is of modern erection but exactly to the design of an ancient Portuguese clock tower once on that same site. The two weather vanes at either end are of handsome design, as is that on Christ Church hard by. The Stadthaus lies open for inspection, but hardly possesses much of interest for a visitor. There are a few pieces of carving visible, especially the ceiling, brought from Holland, in the Land Office, and an extraordinary collection of chairs, of old pattern, and perhaps old actually, in the Supreme Court room. These are paralleled in Christ Church, where it has been the practice for centuries for each worshipper to bring his own
chair. A Chinese carpenter in Malacca, if you order a chair of him and give him no directions, wa ill produce one of these old-fashioned shapes.
Alongside the Stadthaus are set up on the wall which supports the hill foot some ancient Portuguese coats of arms in stone, wrongly attributed by a tablet to the first King of Portugal. Another tablet commemorates the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, 1897, and yet another the visit of the Marquis of Dalhousie in 1850. But no tablet explains the hideous stone image beyond them all. It is a a Makara, a monster of Hindu mythology, the sole surviving relic of the time when the Ruler of Malacca was still a Hindu/a and should date from 1403 or earlier. It is, therefore, the oldest work of mena s hands in Malacca.
Christ Church was built in 1750 by the Dutch, who, until that date, had used for Protestant worship the Portuguese Church on the hill, though after that date they used the hill church for interment only. Christ Church possesses some remarkable silver vessels, which may be catalogued as follows :a
A pair of silver communion cups, one presented by the ship Mermaid, with hall-mark attributed to Batavia, and dated 1750.
A silver dish, also Batavian, ten inches across, of the same date.
A silver inkstand, with inkwell and sandbox, of ancient date.
A plain heavy silver chalice of local work of the English period.
A pair of silver salvers, believed to be Dutch, twelve inches square.
Chno uer. Kuala Lunpur.
Astana of the Sultan of Selangor at Klang.