Continental publishing company,
Text on page 140
The Philippine Islands.
twice daily. The Government arsenal and the only shipyard in the colony are located here, and it is, therefore, the chief" naval station in the islands. Cavit is also the residence of most of the Spanish naval officers and of many foreigners : their handsome bungalows are on the outskirts of the town. Some fine shops, a theatre, a few cafes, and the old Cathedral are the most noteworthy objects of interest in the town itself. The Cathedral is large and imposing, and its architecture is characteristic of most of the churches of the colony. The houses in Cavit were formerly of wood, but since a
interior of a house destroyed by an earthquake.
fire, in 1754, which destroyed the town, most of them are built of stone or brick. But even this did not save the towrn ; for the earthquake of 1880 again laid it wTaste.
Cavit was taken by the British in 1763, and has always been deemed the key to the capital. It was the seat of the rebellion of 1872, when the rebels seized and plundered the arsenal. ThisCavitA(c) was taken by the British in 1763, and has always been deemed the key to the capital. It was the seat of the rebellion of 1872, when the rebels seized and plundered the arsenal. This