cavite navv yard.
Cavite Viejo is no longer available. Captain Itarralde, who was one of Admiral Montejo's captains in the battle of Manila bay, and who has ever since been a peaceful resident of Cavite, attributes the filling up of the lower bay to the building of fish-traps there, and to the closing of a canal that formerly connected the inner basin and the outer bay. That canal was filled up many years ago by the orders of a Spanish Governor-General who was a cavalryman, and who became
impatient because the bridge over the canal was often out of repair and his horsemen were delayed in crossing.
The administration building and the Captain of the Port's office (now the Bungalow) are probably the oldest buildings of Spanish design in the yard. There is, too, a memorial chapel that was raised over the remains of a number of Spanish officers and men who were killed in the rebellion of 1872. The building is now used as the Board Room of the Yard. The present arsenal was built in 1880.
Ask for Clarke's Superior Candies at your canteen.
Established 1898.Established 1898.