T. Cook and son; J. H. de Bussy,
Text on page 165
165 KONINKLIJKE PAKETVAAHT MAATSCHAPPI.T.
the cruise through the Moluccas is so rich. It is as though every night, on this journey, a good fairy called up from the sea the loveliest islands, in order to surprise and charm the enraptured traveller in the morning.
The little place Ternate lies on the south-side of the mountain, and close to the sea. Of its former greatness scarcely anything remains. The house of the Resident, the club, the school, the fort, and lastly the "Kedaton" of the Sultan-one and all excel in simplicity, the latter also in its decay and neglect. Dadap-trees ("galala," Latin, Erythrina picta) of various colours give to the
road along the shore, a particularly gay appearance. Here is a kind of hotel, but we do better to remain on board for the night. The fort was built in 1607, by Cornells Matelief de Jonge, and was then called Malajoe. Two years later, this name was changed by Frans Wittert into Oranje.
In 1796 this fort made, under the valiant Governor J, C. Buddach, a formidable resistance against the English, but in 1799 it was treacherously surrendered by two officials, after they had first gagged the Governor Craussen.In 1796 this fort made, under the valiant Governor J, C. Buddach, a formidable resistance against the English, but in 1799 it was treacherously surrendered by two officials, after they had first gagged the Governor Craussen.