Printed for the Hakluyt Society,
Text on page 8
THE CAPE VEKD ISLANDS.
Saint Antoine,, the second S. Vincent, the third S. Zucar, the fourth S. Nicolas, the fifth del Sal, the sixth De buena vista, the seventh de Mayo, the eighth Santiago, the ninth del Fuego, the tenth Bravo} They begin at lat. 10A N., and reach down to lat. 14A. The Portuguese inhabit and cultivate some of them; the others are only inhabited by animals, such as goats, which are very numerous. They have fruits and provisions in abundance. The principal island, on which the others are dependent, is S. Nicolas ; it is the seat of the Bishop and of justice.2 The proximity of Cape Yerd on the mainland, only fifty or sixty leagues off, where the Portuguese carry on a continual traffic in negro slaves, causes these islands to be much frequented because of this merchandise, which is carried to the West Indies and to Brazil, as well as to Portugal. In one of the islands, de Mayo, there is found such a quantity of rock-salt that one can load as much as one wishes without cost, for the island is uninhabited, and loading and transport are quite easy. You see in another island a mountain which throws out from its summit flames by night and smoke by day. On that account it is called a Isla del Fuegoa.3
On the 29th of the same month we were in lat. 5A N., and
1 The Portuguese names are more properly as follows:aS. Antao, S. Vicente, Sta. Luzia, S. Nicolao, do Sal, da Boa Vista, Mayo, Santiago, Fogo, and Brava. The C. Verd Islands were discovered in 1456 by the Venetian Cadamosto, under the auspices of Prince Henry of Portugal. The first sighted was Boa Vista, and thence so called (Majoras Prince Henry, p. 163).
2 Sir R. Hawkins, who visited the Cape Verd Islands in 1593, says that Santiago was then the chief island, the seat of the Audiencia and the Bishop. This island was sacked by the English under Sir Anthony Sheriey in 1596, and the government was then perhaps temporarily transferred to S. Nicolas (jHawkins's Voyages, Hak. Soc., pp. 129-30). The established seat of government has always been, as now, Santiago.
3 aThe second island is Fuego, so called,for that day and night there burneth in it a vulcan, whose flames in the night are seene twentie leagues off in the seaa (Sir R. Hawkins, in Hawkins's Voyages, Hak. Soc., 130).3 a The second island is Fuego, so called,for that day and night there burneth in it a vulcan, whose flames in the night are seene twentie leagues off in the seaa (Sir R. Hawkins, in Hawkins's Voyages, Hak. Soc., 130).