walls. Inside the building on the walls are scutch-ions, one of which records the founding of the Church in the year already mentioned. Near the main entrance is the tomb of Hendric Swaerde-croon, who was Governor-General between 1718 and 1725.
Peter Erberveldas Skull. Some 200 yards from the City Church to the left is a piece of wall on which is a stone with an inscription and above it, set up on a pike, the skull of Peter Erberveld, who in 1722 conspired against the Government. The plot was discovered before it could be put into execution and Erberveld executed. His skull was put on a spike on top of the wall surrounding the place where his house once stood.
Pasar Baroe (New Market) is a street in Weltevreden to the E. of Noordwijk, where most Chinese shops are found, in which are sold all sorts of things. The connection of Pasar Baroe with Krekot is roofed and used as a fruit market.
Is a townshilp to the S. of the city reached by the steamtram or carriage along a broad, shady road known successively by the names of Kra-
mat and Matraman. On this road are the opium factory, the high school and the Roman Catholic Hospital St Carolus.
(14 m. from the city by rail); the town is noted for its export of straw hats.
BATAVIA TO BANDOENG VIA TJIKAMPEK a POERWAKARTA.
The line between Batavia and Krawang once belonged to the B(atavia) O(oster) S(poor-weg). It was taken over by the government and in 1898 the work of extending the line from Krawang to Padalarang (60 m.) was begun.
This work was completed in 1906 and the line then became the main line from Batavia to Sourabaya, via Bandoeng.
(40 m. from Batavia) is situated about halfway between Batavia and Poerwakarta. The town is for the greater part inhabited by Chinese.
(53 m. from Batavia) is a junction. The train coming from Batavia for Bandoeng turns sout-(53 m. from Batavia) is a junction. The train coming from Batavia for Bandoeng turns sout-