At the corner of Prinsenlaan (Mangga Besar) is the new theatre ,.Thaliaa mostly used for native plays. On the N. end of Molenvliet E. : the Hospital for natives with behind it the prison.
The Chinese Quarters in Old Batavia, where live some 20.000 people, mostly Chinese merchants and artisans, are intersected by numerous canals. It is a veritable labyrinth to the stranger.
Kali Besar (Great River) are the two streets on either side of the river Tjiliwoeng in old Batavia. The foreign consulates, shipping agencies and offices of other large firms are mostly situated here. The houses on these streets belonged to Dutch patricians, but the dwellings are at present transformed into offices and storehouses; traces of a former splendor may be noted here and there by a piece of sculpture, broad staircases, stuccoes or marble floors.
Penang Gateway and sacred Cannon.
The Penang Gateway (ancient town-gate) which is situated near aKasteel Pleina is close to the terminal of the electric tram and not far from that of the steamtram. It is decorated with vases and two statues. Passing through the gateway one comes to a broad avenue with old
buildings (now used as godowns). To the left, on the lawn, is a cannon 15 feet in length called Maryam, much venerated by the natives, women coming there to offer, as according to the natives it has the power to bring fertility. It bears the inscription aEx me ipsa renata sum (aI was born again out of myselfa).
Fischmarket (Pasar Ikan) in a short distance from Penang Gateway and well worth visiting. All sorts of fish are for sale here. Further to the N. E. is a Mohammedan mosque (Loear Batang) and a sacred grave. It should be remembered that before entering the mosque one must remove his shoes.
Town hall (Roemah Bitjara). The old town-hall, a Dutch style building, completed in 1710 is near the station of Batavia North in the lower town. In this building are now located the offices of the Resident.
The City Church (Gredja Kotta) or Portuguese Church at the junction of the Jacatra Road wiith Gelderland Road was built in 1693. Its old-fashioned pulpit, chairs and brass lustres are all reminiscent of the 17th century. The church is surrounded by a grave yard closed in with brickThe City Church (Gredja Kotta) or Portuguese Church at the junction of the Jacatra Road wiith Gelderland Road was built in 1693. Its old-fashioned pulpit, chairs and brass lustres are all reminiscent of the 17th century. The church is surrounded by a grave yard closed in with brick