Distributed gratis by the Royal Packet Steam Navigation Co. (K.P.M.),
Text on page 126
The total population of Samarang is about 120,000, of which 5200 are Europeans.
Leaving the small Customs House, we proceed along the canal which presents a very busy scene. Hundreds of strange crafts swarm on its waters, prahus, junks, dhows and large lighters capable of carrying 400 tons lie in a seemingly inextricable tangle. Fronting the canal, which is well constructed of solid masonry, lie huge godows (bulk stores), and constantly passing and repassing moves a stream of coolies laden with merchandise. Some distance along the canal is the large Customs House, and all dutiable goods must go through a lock to reach it. This building is shortly to be removed to the beach near the breakwater, where
Flashlight picture of the Opening of the New Skating- Rink at the Club " Harmonie," Samarang, oil the Eve of the Queen Mother's Birthday, August ist, 1911.
harbour improvements are going on, and where quays are to be constructed, thus simplyfying the handling of all cargoes. Some distance to the east, outside the town, lies the railway station, and a line connects with the wharves.
Turning away from the canal slightly to the left the large buildings of the Scheepsagentuur and the Royal Packet S.N. Co. are passed, and, crossing the town bridge over the river, which forms the division between the old and new town, we issue upon a broad, well-kept road (Heerenstraat). On our left lies a large triangular park or public garden where hundreds of natives may be observed in the evening chatting or playing football and other games. On the north of this park stand the substantial buildings of the Town Hall and the Post Office, and on the west the Hotel Du Pavillon and the residence