Distributed gratis by the Royal Packet Steam Navigation Co. (K.P.M.),
Text on page 61
Customs House, we find ourselves in the main road leading to the city. On our left is a small, shady park wherein stands a taU, white structure, the Wilhelmina Tower. A broad tree-lined street stretches away south along the canal and is traversed by a steam tram connecting with the city. Shortly after leaving the "Point," the extensive buildings of the Naval Dockyard are noticed on the left, and a visit should be made to this busy centre; the works cover a considerable area and give employment to some 2500 people. The floating
uA cks, two in number, one accommodating vessels up to 5000 tons and the other 1400 tons, are in continual use ; huge cranes are employed lifting burdens up to 60 tons. Everywhere crowds of busy workers and great workshops replete with modern machinery meet the eye, whilst air is filled with a confusion of sounds.
Regaining the main road running past large godowns and some rather dilapidated dwellings fronting the canal for a considerable distance,