56 Route 2.
ENVIRONS OF MANILA Fort McKinley.
stations of Manila, i.e. Manila or Tondo Station, San LA zaro Station (3 kin.), or Santa Mesa Station (6 km.), he will, after passing by the village of San Felipe Neri, soon come to San Pedro Alacati ( 12 km.), where there is a church scarred with marks of an encounter between Americans and Filipinos. The town manufactures bricks, and in the surrounding regions are raised large quantities of zacate, a kind of grass used for hay and fresh forage. Soon after leaving the town, the ruins of the great convent of Guadalupe are seen to one side,
the hill top on which they stand being reached after about fifteen minutes' walk from the Guadalupe Station of the tramway line, and by a short, steep climb from the carriage road. The convent was the finest in the Philippines, known far and wide as the ' Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe,' the original image of which had been brought from Spain. The convent was destroyed on Feb. 19, 1899 by fire caused by shells fired during the fighting between the American and Filipino forces, so that there now remain only certain portions of the walls and front arches. From these scant remnants, however, the splendour and glory of this once most famous shrine may well be imagined. The shrine was founded in 1601 by Antonio Herrera, a lay brother, who had also had a part in building the great Augustinian Church of Manila. In the convent was a library which contained many precious relics and manuscripts, but it was destroyed at the same time as the church.
Fort William McKinley (14 km.) is an extensive military reserve, on which stand buildings and quarters for housing cavalry and infantry regiments and field batteries. The buildings, particularly the officers' houses, as well as the drives, are all shaded by luxuriant, evergreen trees, among which may be seen here and there large flowers of bright colours which are to be met with only in tropical lands. Above these residences the drive commands a most extensive prospect, including Manila City in the W. and in the S. Laguna de Bay. The place is usually included in the round of an hour's automobile drive from Manilaa along the picturesque River Pasig, through Fort Wm. McKinley, and back by way 01 Manila Bay. The best time is in the late afternoon, when the star-spangled
Ruins of the Great Convent of Guadalupb.