Department of Railways,
Text on page 260
2A O Route 21. AYUTHIA
The Market of Ayuthia.
Railway Station (on the opposite bank from the city). In the station are sold certain eatables, feather fans, etc. On arrival at the station, travellers are carried by boats, as in Venice, to their several destinations in the city. Between the station and the mooring place for the boats is a covered pathway, on both sides of which there are stalls selling eatables. The boats are narrow and long, accommodating 4 or 5 passengers, and each is manned by one boatman who dexterously plies an oar. Fare, about 2 ticals per y2 day. Both sides of the river are lined by floating houses, and on the waters may be seen many small boats, which run up and down stream rowed by women, who ply the oar under the shadow of a paper parasol.
Ayuthia was the capital of Siam and the seat of its old civilization between 1350 and 1760, and to-day it possesses a population of some 50,000. Yet owing to the great devastations wrought by Burmese invaders at the close of the period above mentioned, and the founding of Bangkok as the new capital of Siam, a large part of the Old City is still left in ruins. The remains of the castle and of many temples are sad reminders of the city's former glory. The city, with its deserted quarters, occupies an entire island formed by the Menam and its tributary and has a circumference of 9 km. Like Venice, the city of Ayuthia is intersected in all directions by canals, which form the public streets, and many houses are built on floating rafts on the waters. In the N. stands the castle, in which is the Museum, containing many specimens of the old fine arts. The most thickly peopled parts are found in the W. and S.W., where there are regularly laid out streets. In the S. W., canals are particularly numerous and there are many temples. The market place, where nearly all the buying and selling of commodities take place,