Department of Railways,
Text on page 167
The Castle. NORTHERN ANNAM. 15. Route. 167
(c) This court leads to the front of a sheltering structure, under which stands the monument of the dead king, which, as a rule, was built by his successor.
(d) There is a temple in which is installed the image of the dead king. In front of it is a monastery, which contains his treasures. In olden times, the keeper of this monastery was chosen from among the king's favourite mistresses.
(e) The remains of the king are buried beneath a mound, enclosed by stone walls with bronze doors.
Sights of the Castlea Crossing Pont de Than-thai from Rue Jules-Ferry and turning first to the left and then to the right down the first main street, one comes to the gate Mirador, which is the entrance of the first wall. This outermost wall was built in 1804 by King Gia-long assisted by French officers. It is a brick structure
Decorative Gateway to thb ' Palais du Comat,' HuA(c).
tv. ' 'on2 and 12 metres thick, designed after the Vauban style.
he gate leads to AllA(c)e des MinistA res. Walking along this straight thoroughfare one sees on the right Comat Palace and on the (eft a row of buildings, which is called the Quoc-tu-giam, a school intended for the education of the sons and daughters of mandarins, iiehind it stands a library. Comat Palace and the official buildings Annam, standing around it, are thoroughly modern in their structure. In the palace, the RA(c)sident SupA(c)rieur of France meets he ministers of the Annamese government twice a week to discuss anairs of state. The DA(c)lA(c)gations de la Justices et de l'IntA(c)rieur are ? so located in this region. There is also a public museum contain-lng specimens of Annamese faunal and floral products of all kinds.